[BITList] Only in America riposte

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Thu May 31 14:44:24 BST 2012

Malcolm,

on the contrary ‘tis I who is being a PITA.......................

2 sides to every story – true, however one side could be so outré that the common man would consider it ridiculous. I’m thinking of the of Hitler's plans for world order, etc. Genocide which has been attempted over years but in this case the basic story is an appeal to xenophobic jingoism from our tribal past – and not a quaint look at the other side of the story.

finding that our lives are costing us more, etc. - agree with you here. It is clear that in the USA the rich have achieved a situation such that they can pretty well order up what ever they want to make them even richer. for example - super rich  republicans are in a position this coming election, to be able to contribute a BILLION dollars legally to defeat Obama and put their puppet Romney in the white house! A billion dollars – that’s how much they are willing to spend to get their way to make sure they pay even less taxes than they do now, to make sure government health and safety requirements are scrapped [too expensive and the worker is expendable anyway], to make sure the common man is well and truly screwed by banks, credit cards, etc. etc. in the name of profit and to make sure wall street continues to be bailed out by our money if they screw up. For the average Joe in the USA, do you think this ‘other side of the argument’ has merit?

filling up with foreigners – while it may look like this is happening, recent figures don’t show anywhere ‘filling up’. UK has only 7.3% where as Luxemburg has 43% and I haven’t heard them complaining. it is normal for us humans to blame our woes on others who are different in some way to us. this has gone on through out history and will probably never change – the perennial whipping boy remains the Jew even unto this day, but any ‘foreigner’ will do!

you are being overly pessimistic [but not without some modicum of cause].

sic transit gloria mundi.....................

colin