[BITList] Intimations of mortality

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun May 13 21:10:53 BST 2012

Sunday night,

I picked up the local paper the other day and there was a Death Notice to say Mick Diamond died on Friday in Largs.  For some reason, possibly coincidence, Mick had come into my mind some days back - our paths hadn't crossed since the mid 60s.  This all set me thinking.  From about 1958 on, until the early 60s, a group of us met in the newly opened Clydeview Roadhouse in Upper Port Glasgow for a few pints and a chat - we more or less took over the small cocktail bar.  We were marine engineers, shipyard workers, a Hoover salesman and a Police sergeant.  I was with BI, as was Willie Barnes.  Davie Cullen was P&O and Mick Diamond sailed with a company connected with BI (I can't recall the name), and ended up with Atlantic Steam.  All four of us served our time with Kincaid in Greenock.  Sergeant Angus McDonald would happily accept a run home in a car driven by a half pissed Mick.  God God, I thought - of that happy band I am the only one left alive.  Mick's funeral is tomorrow at 10.00am in Largs - I've laid out a decent shirt and tie and polished my shoes.