[BITList] How To Recognise a Gay Bar!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri May 11 22:27:17 BST 2012

Frank,

I found myself in one gay bar, and was told I had been in another.

As to the latter, my wife and I were in the habit of taking short breaks in York, and we had grown fond of the White Horse on the Bootham Gate.  It was a nice old pub, if a bit noisy when those attending the deaf school opposite came in mob handed to shout at each other. One day we mentioned our preference to a local.  "Good God," he said, "that's where all the poofs go."  Or words to that effect.  We didn't go somewhere else, but from then on we examined our fellow patrons for signs and found none.

I was in Antwerp, going round the continent, BI or Clan Line - probably the latter - and we had gone ashore for a beer or two and a change of scenery.  I've forgotten the name of the bar, but I'm sure it's  written down somewhere.  We got settled in and the 3rd became interested in a gorgeous lady who sat beside him and evidently fancied him.  The evening was going well until it dawned on one of us that the lady was a bloke.  So, on our advice the 3rd spurned her advances and words were exchanged.  We were evicted and told never to come back in English.  Only then did we recall the men dancing together.  Next day (we were in drydock) who should we see but one of the dancers, giving orders to some workmen.