[BITList] Fwd: We need engineers and electricians, not more hairdressers and personal trainers, colleges are told | Society | The Observer

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 24 12:00:03 BST 2012

Mike,

Little did I know when setting out on my 14 years of training and getting
experience, that had I just waited a wee bit, I could have done a course at
a college and become an engineer that way.  At age 30, having started at 16,
served 5 years in the shops, 2 in the DO and 3 in the MN, then 6 in various
DOs, only then did I become entitled to the "full rate" as a draughtsman.
Why were these things not publicised back then?