[BITList] Fwd: Numeracy Campaign: What we can learn from China -Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 22 09:13:29 BST 2012

Mike,

I've read it through, and maths is mentioned all through, but I can't get a
notion of what they mean.  Numeracy is not mathematics, it's merely a tool
that can be useful in some branches of mathematics, but is not needed in
others.  The "maths" taught in schools, age 5 to 12, is all about
manipulating numbers - it's geared up to accountancy or working in a
bookie's.  Nowadays it's up to the 10 times multiplication tables, whereas
in my day it was 12, and in my Dad's it was 15.  Long division,
factorisation, fractions and lowest common denominator, etc - all with
numbers, and all by rote. None of this came from China. If they would stop
bloody reinventing the wheel in different shapes they might come to realise
the old familiar circular one, while possibly a trifle old-fashioned, works
best.