[BITList] critical mass

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 11 10:36:18 BST 2012

Got mine?  No.  Will I ever get one?  No.

They are not on the List Of Things I Need, and when I see somebody attached to one I get an urge to separate them and stick the smaller up the bigger.

A few days back, on a bus, we witnessed a young mother with one of these things clutched in her hands occupying all her attention, while her infant in the pram beside her cried incessantly. I have every confidence she was checking for a suitable website, one that would give advice on how to stop the different noises made by pre-adults on buses.  What really pissed me off, however, was the apparent lack of interest shown by the many middle aged and elderly ladies sitting near her.  My mother's pal, Jeannie Malcolm, would have skited her one about the ears without preamble - she did it to us often enough.