[BITList] Geotagging: how much do your photos give away? > Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 10 09:26:00 BST 2012

John,

A gimmick too far. My phone doesn't take photos, let alone tag them with coordinates, and I've survived so far. The comment from Jason is rubbish, as any ful kno. If I am x km from point A, I am on the circumference of an x km circle around point A.  If, at the same time, I am y km from point B, I am on a y km circle about point B.  If x=y, and points A and B don't coincide, these circles must touch tangentially, and I am at the tangent point.  If A and B coincide, there is no useful solution.  If x>y or x<y, the circles intersect at two points, and I am at one or other of them. Etc, for three circles, when we get three sets, each of two intersection points, one point being common to the three sets, ie, where I am.  Using four circles, one of them is redundant.  Any time you've a spare hour, prove the above geometrically.