[BITList] FW: Fwd: The No1 Ladies Detective Agency authorAlexanderMcCall Smith puts British to shame - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 28 21:59:48 BST 2012

Malcolm,

There are many discussions and articles about "what would happen after Scottish independence".  I don't listen to/read any of them - it's all hot air about something that hasn't yet happened - and might never, though I wouldn't be against it.  Crystal balls are in short supply.

On the Olympics .... at one of the football games at Hampden Park, Glasgow the other day, there was total chaos.  After poor advance ticket sales, the powers that be issued thousands of tickets to schools, etc, then failed to allow for the extra thousands arriving, not to mention thousands of people who turned up anyway.  Idiotic security searches kept people outside till well after kick off, they ran out of this and that, there were enormously long queues for food and drink before they ran out.  One chap asked for chips and was told they were not allowed to sell chips, due to McDonalds veto on anyone else selling chips.  He said, "OK, give me a McDonalds,"  "We don't sell them," they said. Has anyone ever seen the word "chips" on a McDonalds menu?  They sell what they call French Fries, slivers of potato up to 3mm square section.  The British standard chip is 10mm square and upwards.  Has nobody in authority noticed this?