[BITList] Motorbike

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 27 19:50:50 BST 2012

Malcolm,

I partially overhauled the engine of my old Royal Enfield Model G in my bedroom (my brothers were in the Army). The rooms had "stone floors" with rugs - I rolled the rugs up - oddly enough, my mother didn't mind. The bottom end bearing (white metal on bronze) ran through lack of lub oil, and I had to dismantle the (built up)crankshaft to allow me to replace it.  Fortunately I had access to bribeable turners in Kincaids, and some fags got me access to a lathe, etc, to set the crankshaft up again. I stopped short of running the engine.