[BITList] Fwd: Commander John Rigge - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 26 17:46:34 BST 2012

John,

Ah, the old sea valves - what would we do without them!  And the captain refusing to divulge their whereabouts  - shame on him in the circumstances.  But the truth will out, and all's right that ends right.  I believe BI masters kept the location of the sea valves in a safe to which the chief had no access lest he experiment with them one night while pissed as a newt.  One day on Chakdara I was a member of a group tasked with finding the valves controlling the steam to the master's cabin heating.  This involved an expedition into the depths of the underfloor pipes in the ER, where we found many a valve that, did we but know it, could have been a sea valve. Or maybe not, since I did more Underfloor Pipe Arrangements than the average captain has had hot dinners, without ever including a sea valve for the scuttling of the vessel.

Hugh..