[BITList] The Mother of All Doohickey's.

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 9 15:06:35 BST 2012

Wonder what they used to control the outputs
frank

    .

    Read this first, then open the attachment, watch and enjoy!
    Here's an ENGINEERING FEAT, conceived & born in IOWA!!!
    The creators, at the University, call it "THE MOTHER OF ALL
    DOOHICKEYS". In all of my days I have never witnessed anything as
    amazing as this contraption. Please note, the balls don't fall on the
    floor, they return to the machine. See how all of the balls wind up in
    catcher cones. This incredible machine was built as a collaborative
    effort between the Robert M. Trammell Music Conservatory and the
    Sharon Wick School of Engineering at the University of  Iowa .
    Amazingly, 97% of the machine's components came from John Deere
    Industries and Irrigation Equipment of Bancroft, Iowa . YES...FARM
    EQUIPMENT!!!! It took the team a combined 13,029 hours (6.26 years) of
    set-up, alignment, calibration, and tuning before filming this  video
    by a French group. But as you can see, it was WELL WORTH  THE EFFORT!!
    It is now on display in the Matthew Gerhard Alumni Hall at the
    University and is already slated to be donated to the Smithsonian in
    Washington D.C.