[BITList] Fwd: Try Irn Bru, leave the square sausage, advises Japanese guide to Scotland | UK news | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 4 08:04:52 BST 2012

Mike,

Sounds as if it will be a good read.

The "square sausage" issue is far more complex than the book says.  When God
made it I have every confidence that henceforth it was evermore to be called
Lorne Sausage, but rarely in my life have I heard it called that, or square
sausage.  On the lower Clyde it is called "slice", but not so up the river,
as I found out one day, and I may well have related this anecdote before.
One morning around 7.15, on my arrival at Kvaerner, Govan, I called at the
canteen for something to compensate for having missed breakfast. Thinking I
was still in Scotland I asked for "a roll on slice".  "Whit's slice?" the
lady asked.  "That's slice," said I, pointing at it.  "That's no slice,
that's sausage," she said.  "No," said I, pointing to sausages, "These are
sausages. "They're no sausages, they're links," she said.  "Have you any
ham?" I asked, changing tack.  "No ham, only bacon," she said.  I can't
recall what I got.

The thing about slice is that one can only enjoy the kind made on the
premises by ones own butcher. That's a tradition. The stuff sold in
supermarkets is inedible, being composed of cardboard and sawdust, and the
stuff the neighbours buy from a butcher in Greenock is only marginally
better.