[BITList] Drone hijacked by hackers

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 3 15:06:50 BST 2012

  This couldTurn out pretty expensive

frank

  Drone hijacked by hackers from Texas college with $1,000 spoofer

by Lisa Vaas <http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/author/nslisavaas/> on
July 2, 2012
<http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/07/02/drone-hackedwith-1000-spoofer/#idc-container>

Filed Under: Featured
<http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/category/featured/>, Vulnerability
<http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/category/vulnerability/>

[Drone image, courtesy of Shutterstock] Researchers at the University of
Texas at Austin hacked and hijacked a drone in front of the dismayed
Department of Homeland Security officials who had dared them $1,000 to
do it.

According to exclusive coverage
<http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/25/drones-vulnerable-to-terrorist-hijacking-researchers-say/>
of the event from Fox News, the researchers flew the small surveillance
drone over the Austin stadium last Monday.

The drone followed a series of GPS waypoints programmed into its flight
computer in what initially looked like a routine flight.

At one point, the drone veered off course from its intended flight path.

It banked hard to the right, "streaking" toward the south, before it
turned to hurtle at the ground in what looked like imminent drone
suicide, according to Fox's description.

A safety pilot radioed the drone - which was owned by the university,
according to Reuters
<http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-1000-us-government-906/> - and forced it
to pull up just a few feet before it would have crashed into the field.

The demonstration of the near-disaster, led by Professor Todd Humphreys
and his team at the UTA's Radionavigation Laboratory
<http://radionavlab.ae.utexas.edu/>, points to a "gaping hole" in the
US's plan to open US airspace to thousands of drones, Fox noted: namely,
drones can be turned into weapons, given the right equipment.

The researchers managed to hack the drone with a spoofer they put
together with about $1,000 worth of parts.

[Department of Homeland Security] The Department of Homeland Security
traditionally has been concerned with GPS jammers - the method of
interference that some believe Iran used to bring down a US spy drone
<http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer-Video>
in December.

But others, including an anonymous Iranian engineer quoted by the
Christian Science Monitor
<http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer-Video>,
say that Iran actually used the same spoofing technique that the Texas
researchers demonstrated.

Spoofing allows a hacker to take control of a GPS-guided drone and force
it to do whatever the attacker commands.

According to the Christian Science Monitor
<http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer-Video>,
this is how the engineer described the Iranians' use of spoofing:

    The 'spoofing' technique that the Iranians used - which took into
    account precise landing altitudes, as well as latitudinal and
    longitudinal data - made the drone 'land on its own where we wanted
    it to, without having to crack the remote-control signals and
    communications' from the US control center, says the engineer.

Spoofing involves mimicking the signals of the drone's global
positioning device and eventually taking it over completely by sending
stronger signals than the unmanned aerial vehicle's (UAV's) legitimate
commands.

Humphreys claims that the $1,000 spoofer he and his team rigged up to
hack the university's drone last Monday is the most advanced one ever
built.

He also says that the implications of a UAV's vulnerability to this type
of spoofing are serious. Here's how he described the potential scenario
to Fox News:

    In 5 or 10 years you have 30,000 drones in the airspace... Each one
    of these could be a potential missile used against us.

[UAV image, courtesy of Shutterstock] Meanwhile, the Pentagon and drone
manufacturers in February pressured Congress to order the Federal
Aviation Administration (FAA) to cook up rules that allow government and
commercial use of drones in the US by 2015 - an idea that raises serious
privacy concerns, with the prospect of police drones keeping watch on
citizens already a reality
<http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57409759/drone-use-in-the-u.s-raises-privacy-concerns/>.

Should we trust the US government to darken the skies above us with
surveillance UAVs?

On privacy grounds it seems an obvious "No", and apparently not on "make
sure those things aren't aimed at our heads" grounds either. From Fox News:

    DHS is attempting to identify and mitigate GPS interference through
    its new 'Patriot Watch' and 'Patriot Shield' programs, but the
    effort is poorly funded, still in its infancy, and is mostly geared
    toward finding people using jammers, not spoofers.

    The potential consequences of GPS spoofing are nothing short of
    chilling. Humphreys warns that a terrorist group could match his
    technology, and in crowded U.S. airspace, cause havoc.

    "I'm worried about them crashing into other planes," he told Fox
    News. "I'm worried about them crashing into buildings. We could get
    collisions in the air and there could be loss of life, so we want to
    prevent this and get out in front of the problem."

We're being protected from these chilling scenarios by "poorly funded"
programs that are "still in their infancy"?

I don't have much faith in Congress standing up to the Pentagon and
drone manufacturers, so Mr. Humphreys and your team, thanks for getting
in front of the problem.

Let's hope the DHS joins you, preferably before we've got hackable
juggernauts flying over us