[BITList] broke and broken

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Tue Jan 31 15:17:52 GMT 2012

      oh, no – say it isn’t so....................

      all this n jazz too – my cup runneth over!

      ct

      PS  the weather is fine today – warm and sunny

      Today New Orleans is broke and broken. The bills are coming due for deferred maintenance, for the no-work contracts and for the legion of other methods of thievery. The near future will be a struggle to fix what's broken and also invest in IT systems and other basic management tools.

      The ultimate cost of corruption is alienation of the citizenry and their deep mistrust of government. The only way to break this cycle is for the government to demonstrate that it can operate efficiently and effectively over an extended period of time without corruption.

      There is reason for hope -- a start has been made. The Office of Inspector General is rapidly increasing its sources and information, and a new administration is working cooperatively to rid city government of the thieves who have plagued it. The IG office, with our federal partners and the district attorney, is now conducting broad investigations that have the potential to transform the landscape.

      It may not be apparent yet, but it is a new day in New Orleans.

      Ed Quatrevaux is New Orleans' inspector general.