[BITList] I beg you, Mr Gove, bring back thinking | The Sunday Times WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENINGTO OUR CHILDRENS' EDUCATION ??

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 29 15:45:47 GMT 2012

Mike,

One only has to listen to them on TV quiz shows to realise that at a couple of generations have come to think anything that happened before the day they were born is of no importance.  "Before my time," is the arrogant excuse trotted out before confessing ignorance of who Louis Armstrong was.  "We don't know the answer, ergo, it happened before our time, so we don't give a monkey's $%£&."  The whole sweep of the history of the universe was before their $%£&^%£ time, did they but know it.

I got plenty of Shakespeare in high school, and I recall much of it still.