[BITList] Fwd: After Costa Concordia, Concerns About Cruise Industry - NYTimes.com

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 17 17:20:10 GMT 2012

Milk,

I read :

"Ships themselves are certified and inspected by independent classification
societies, like Lloyd's Register Group and the Italian RINA S.p.A., Mr. Wild
said, that perform annual checks of ship safety conditions, lifeboats and
the like. They approve vital components like fire protection, navigation,
radio communication equipment, deck gear, cables and anchors."

In the confusion stakes, there's nothing like missing out the main bits.  As
I am sure we all know, ships are not simply certified by Classification
Societies - they are built to their rules, a process that is monitored at
all stages, from design to delivery.