[BITList] nola war zone

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 00:01:05 GMT 2012

    At least 47 people have been wounded by gunfire in the first 12 days of the year

    new orleans - a war zone?

    ct

      New wave of violence met with tough talk
      Published: Friday, January 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
       By Brendan McCarthy, The Times-Picayune
      Follow

      Share Email Print
      Seeking to calm a city rattled by a surge in gun violence, Mayor Mitch Landrieu and his police chief ramped up the tough talk Friday and announced they are flooding the streets with officers in a full-court press to combat crime. The two top public safety officials, along with other civic leaders, gathered at City Hall in the wake of a particularly violent and chaotic 24-hour period in which 18 people, including a New Orleans cop, were struck by gunfire. Five of the victims died from their wounds, including a gunman shot by police.

      View full sizeChris Granger, The Times-PicayuneNew Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, right, and Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas were photographed Nov. 1.
      "We want to make sure it's perfectly clear," said Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas, "we are taking this fight to the street. We are going after these criminals with an intensity that has not been seen in the last 18 months."

      The two officials were blunt and fiery, their monologues punctuated by clenched fists and steadfast promises. Their speeches hit on well-worn themes: A high number of the city's victims of violence have criminal histories; the battle to quell crime must be waged on many fronts; and community involvement remains paramount.

      At least 47 people have been wounded by gunfire in the first 12 days of the year, according to NOPD records. Twelve people have been murdered so far, a rate that far surpasses the city's stubbornly high rate of killings in 2011.