[BITList] Fwd: Pop at the pictures: How Humphrey Lyttelton pavedthe way for pop | Music | guardian.co.uk

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 13 22:06:28 GMT 2012

I can't recall ever seeing anyone dancing at that rate - a vague
recollection of the odd couple jiving in a corner, maybe.  The rest of us
stood and listened.  That was when trad was on the menu. When I attended The
Firth of Clyde Rhythm Club in the early 50s in Greenock on Sunday evenings,
it was mostly dead serious stuff danced to modern jazz, the coolest of the
cool, not a vestige of a smile, the ladies in long pencil skirts and flat
heeled slippers. My pals didn't like it.  The building is still there, I've
no idea what happens in it.  The music was in the top storey, and coffee and
Blue Riband biscuits on the floor below (see attached). I walked home
afterwards, about 5 miles.