[BITList] Silly things to do

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 11 15:14:07 GMT 2012

John,

DJC Blues can still take me right back to the early 50s, when Joe Blair (drowned in mid Atlantic off MV Wavecrest), Alan Sharp (screenwriter in LA), and I carried our record collection and my portable Phillips turntable (still got it) around Greenock to educate the others. The article says:

<<In the following years, he moved into mainstream swing, stopping short of 'bop' modern jazz but dropping the banjo and adding a fine saxophonist, Bruce Turner, to the horror of diehard enthusiasts for his original New Orleans style; when Turner soloed at one concert in Birmingham traditionalists stood up waving a banner inscribed, 'Go Home Dirty Bopper'.>>

I was at a Lyttleton concert on the old St Andrews Halls, Glasgow, where hairy sweatered gents muttered into their beards at the sight and sound of Bruce Turner. I had neither beard nor hairy sweater, and I liked "bop", so I wasn't bothered by the sax.