[BITList] Fwd: How to cook perfect cullen skink | Life and style |The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 6 10:41:41 GMT 2012

Mike,

I last tasted it in a small restaurant in Brodick on the Isle of Arran, and
it was very nice indeed. Not having tasted any other fish soup, I can't say
where it stands in a list of great fish soups, but if there's a better I'd
like to try it.  In any case, there are as many cullens skinks as there are
recipes for it.  I decided to make carrot and coriander soup for a family
function before Christmas, and near gave up in the face of dozens of
different recipes.  In the end I sauted chopped carrots and onions in
unsalted butter (about the only bit the recipes agreed on), and took it from
there. It was a success.