[BITList] A380 Wing Cracks

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 28 15:01:01 GMT 2012

Interference fits are mentioned as a possible cause for some of the
cracking.  The journals and crankpins of most big marine engines ever built
were (if I recall correctly) 1/300 of the diameter bigger than the
corresponding hole in the crankweb, so Interference with a capital I. The
webs were heated and the pins dropped in then allowed to cool. I've never
heard of a crankshaft failure through cracking from that source. Possibly
too much emphasis on saving weight and material in aircraft.