[BITList] Something for musicologists

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 28 10:12:36 GMT 2012

John,

I was going OK until I read this :

"I think if it's Adele or John Coltrane or Oscar Peterson, that would conform to the rule as well," Levitin said.

How can I trust anyone who thinks it OK to have Adele (the latest in a regrettably long line of people who sound like her), John Coltrane and Oscar Petersen in the same sentence?

I can usually tell Beethoven from Mozart without a slide rule, though sometimes Haydn gets in the way. And Vaughan Williams and Elgar, and so on.  It's the little motifs they use, it's the kind of music they write. Both Mozart and Beethoven used notebooks to record themes that occurred to them while wandering gaily through the fields, etc.  These were later used when the need to compose arose. Authors did the same with overheard conversations, stray thoughts, etc.