[BITList] Sailor/Airman ?

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Feb 22 12:34:18 GMT 2012

I have just been introduced to this PRRUNE thread.

There is a fine story written by a contributor with the alias" Old Hairy"

The URL is…

http://www. pprune. org/archive/index. php/t-331471. html

It is a long story - I have extracted the story. No spelling/grammar corrections made.

Watch the Opening of Wellington Airport - towards the end.

ooroo

Old Hairy
23rd Jun 2008,  10:25

A Brief Resume

After basic training, Crew training on Wellington T10 at Swinderby, I completed 241 OCU Dishforth on Hastings and was posted to 24 Sqdn.  Lyneham, bound for route flying.  Whilst on end of course leave. I received a telegram telling me to report to 202 Sqnd. Aldergrove. Somewhat mystyfied on arrival I was informed my crew was to fly the "Bismuth" weather recce daily flights, whilst the remainder of the Squadron converted from the Halifax.  After seven months, a posting arrived, No1 MRS St Mawgan ? No amount of explaining I was Transport Command achieved any result. You are now Coastal Command and you have not completed the appropriate OCU.  Pissed off,  I turned up at St Mawgan to find it was Lancasters, further compounded by the fact that the postings would be Ballykelly or Kinloss.  I hated N. I.  and Scotland didn't appeal, but after prolonged bitching I was offered Sunderlands, with a posting to FEAF.  I was happy to accept this, especially as the Old Man had been on boats with Imperial Airways at Southampton, and we lived at Hamble, just across from Calshot.

Sunderland OCU

Joining 235 OCU Calshot Nov.  1950 I was soon to find this was an entirely different world to that which I had been used to!
Just one crew. Informed we had to be on FEFBW by Jan 51. It was to prove a rapid transformation.
First week ground school.  Not your average subjects! first lesson, How to splice a wire rope! taken by a hairy old matelot, who was not satisfied until all our tender hands ran with blood. [ Some 60 years later I can still splice a wire rope] second lesson. Flag Hoists, the nautical side of the training came thick and fast.  After lunch, dinghy sailing, to understand deep nautical mysteries of tidal rips, tacking cross wind, down tide, up tide. To prove very necessary when trying to pick up the buoy on crowded mooring trots.  And so it went, the transformation to a combined Aviator/Sailor.  At the end of the week we had our first visit to the aircraft.
Nautical traditions are strictly adhered to Captain is last to board the launch which takes you from the pier to the aircraft and first to disembark at the forward door. The Sunderland is a twin deck aircraft and to run you through the layout, on boarding,  to the left anchor winch, twin 303's port and starboard fixed, pilots for the use of. Front turret, retractable for mooring, twin 303's. right entrance to forward wardroom, centre stairs to flight deck, far right Heads, with china flushing loo(engineers job to ensure header tank was full of seawater for flushing].  Through wardroom, centre table two bunks, the galley, compared with other aircraft quite spacious, worktable fore and aft, twin primus stoves with oven, wash basin and plenty of stowage space. Opening hatches port and starboard for deployment of water drogues, centre ladder to flight deck. Next came the bomb room, two large hatches port and starboard which allowed the bomb racks to slide out under the wings. Plenty of space to stow internal carried bombs and/or baggage. Next came the aft wardroom, twin bunks, next port and starboard . 5 machine gun platforms with opening hatches. Past these on stbd.  side rear door [rarely used] port side workbench and vice, then up a catwalk to the rear turret, 4x303's in a Fraser Nash turret.  All doors are half hatches, you had to step over, in case of a hole in the hull, hopefully flooding could be contained in one compartment.
Coming forrard, steps up from the . 5 platforms onto the radar deck, scanners under each wing, outboard of 1&4 engines, through hatch, ladder back down to galley, radio and nav equipment port side, engineer stbd. over main spar, Nav to stbd,  W/op to port, behind Nav,  Radar tent. centre stairs down to forrad door. Pilots port and stbd. Using the excellent internal views posted by S'land, you should be able to follow the walkround.  Between the nav and w/op was a table, directly above the astro dome, which was also the access to the top of the fuselarge and the wings. Having had the conducted tour, we all assembled on the stbd.  wing to be shown the apu [no trolley accs.  on boats] refuelling points, yes you do your own refuelling. Its why you are taught flag hoists, T over E on the mooring mast to indicate to the skipper of the Cowes ferry to slow down, I am loading high explosives!!!
Now this next bit I am rather embarassed about.  BLOODY SEAGULLS roost on the wings at night, nobody mentioned this, we we all wearing the old style flying boots with rubber soles, being a junior I was edging around the back to get a better view, when very gracefully I slid off the wing. It was like a skating rink. remember this was the Solent in November,  as this was just a visit the launch was still there to take us back, he shot around to pick me up.  Subsequently, when I raised the question why we were not warned, I was politely advised its a necessary learning curve, and anyway the staff have a raffle on which silly bugger will be the first!! Part and parcel of learning nautical ways. One hand for you, one for the boat. I now began to realize this was a somewhat different OCU!!

Part Two.

Having completed the first week, we were advised due to weather, the programme would be on an opportunistic basis. If the weather clamped, ground school, we had no letdown aids, we could get a cloud break from Tangmere and leggit at low level across the Solent, But Sunderlands dont really mix with fighters. The alternate was Pembroke Dock, but as the majority of training was to be circuits and alightings, it would be played by ear.

First Flight.
Going out in the launch, slightly misty, the Sunderland looked very big, very majestic, if you ingnored the oil stains and seagull crap! One circuit of the boat, checking it was still in one piece, along side, Captain off first, the crew had two important first actions, start the APU and get the boat on short slip .
The engineer would get out on top and lower a section of the leading edge, inboard of No3, which gave him a platform to stand on.  Then using a rope starter, just like a lawn mower, he would start the APU [Vincent Black Shadow Motor Bike Engine] we now had 24v.
One crew member, usually a W/Op would wind back the front turret, errect the bollard and wind in the anchor chain, which would bring the strop up to the bollard. On one horn of the bollard fit the eye of a eight foot long rope, put the end thro the eye of the buoy strop, then figure of eight round the horns, unshackle the anchor chain and the aircraft wire strop, which had to be stowed under the forward nav window. All very nerveracking with cold fingers, greasy wires, god forbid you should drop it in the oggin. Now on intercom advise Captain "On short strop".  No's 1 & 4 engines started and when T's & P's were okay, stop the APU and button up. Sound S . . .  on the klaxon. bowman would unwind rope from bollard and shout clear, raising arm above head,  pilot would carefully bring buoy down port side keeping clear of hull and float. Crew menber in galley would advise when buoy was clear of aircraft. Bollard stowed, front turret forward and locked, taxi out and start 2 & 3 Engines.
I n those days there was certainly less water traffic than now, but still plenty to keep an eye on. One assumes all sailing craft and small boats are manned by morons and given plenty of room. You are accompanied by a pinnace, like a mobile runway caravan ! which warns off craft that might be a problem, also keeping an eye out for debris.
Runup engines in pairs, equipment check and when ready line up into wind, advise pinnace and pre take-off checks and open up, MUST KEEP WINGS LEVEL if you dip a float at speed, you will be sans float and you have problems, sixty knots on the step, ninety knots ease back lift off, ease forward up to one hundred and ten and climb away. After that its like any other large aircraft, albeit rather slow! In fact almost stately
Our first trip with the instructor demonstrating stalls,  steep turns and before we could have a go the weather started to clamp. So it was a demonstration alighting [Please note, One does not land a flying boat. One Alights} and he decided we could spend a couple of hours learning the art of mooring.
Mooring takes six crew members, two pilots, two bowmen and two crewmembers on drogues in the galley. You have to contend with tidal currents, can be running at six knots on Spring Tides, wind has quite an effect on the large fin, its possible to almost sail the boat.  So whilst its always best to approach the buoy into wind due to other moored aircraft/vessels its not always possible. If you dont know what tidal current you are expecting, hold off and observe effect on other boats, how are they laying to their moorings. Having chosen your approach, and most importantly your escape route in the event you miss the buoy, shut down inboard engines and start to approach countering tide/wind to bring the buoy just off the port bow.  Up front, the two bowman have retracted the turret, errected the bollard and placed a small ladder clipped on the portside,  One bowman perches on the ladder, holding on with right hand, ready to grab the buoy strop with the otherhand.  The other chap can if the pilot cocks it up, make a grab with a boathook. But its unweildy and rarely if ever used.  Having put the buoy in the correct spot, the strop is grabbed, held up, second bowman puts free end of rope strop thro strop eye, figure of eight round the bollard and shouts "Cut" There are other actions going on. It may be necessary to approach the buoy at a fair old rate of knots to stem the tide/wind. just prior to catching the buoy the drogues are streamed to cut the speed. if you dont, the buoy strop can pin the chap on the ladder, and taking the strain of 30 ton of boat across your legs can be dangerous! We practised about six differing approaches until we were all happy we knew what we were doing. Then called it a day.
Alighting,  landing if you must!.  Day approaches like any other aicraft, flare reduce power, advantages, you rarely have short landing area's, you can nearly always land into wind. Problems, waves or swell, can quite easily deal with moderate amounts, but danger of porpoise,  Must keep wings level until low speed to avoid losing a float.  Night landings were another matter. No approach lights, no Vasi.  Pinnace will anchor six little lite boats, about the size of a small rowing boat, in a line along the best path.  He will patrol along the port side, you land on the stbd. side. Make a normal approach, at 500 feet throttle back,  trim nose up up and sink on. Try to flare at night and if you misjudge, go in nose first!! remember you have little or no vertical reference,  she will flip. Another nautical touch.  You had to be able to read the running lights of other craft. Are they moored/ moving, which way. As this was the approach to two busy ports, Southampton and Portsmouth, plus ferries, tankers for Fawley, could be quite busy. Plus four active aerodromes, So a lookout was always in the astrodome, keeping a lookout,  advising the pilot. He also manned a searchlight when mooring at night to illuminate other boats and craft on approach to the buoy.

We completed ninety hours of training. sixty day, thirty night.  Bombing, gunnery, convoy patrols, but a lot of circuit work and then we were ready for our final assessment

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=lFH2OZD-TcU

Part 3.
Airborne 8 Hour Evaluation.
18th Dec.  dawned bright and clear,  we were airborne by 0800, heading for the Western Approaches. The crew of eight, plus the Boss and three trappers. Im sure you have all endured these flights. We were put thro our paces . Emergencies and drills etc.  All performed with no comment, just silently observed. Bombing. Gunnery, short OFE. then back to Calshot.  I think even the quality of the meal served in transit was critically judged. Back at Calshot for several approaches, more emergencies, then the final approach. We knew we were in for the dreaded Broken Float Drill!!
A quick word of explanation.  Should one be unlucky enough to lose a float for whatever reason comes the time you have to alight, and on stopping "Murphys Law" says you will fall on the wing sans float and capsize, ie.  you turn turtle. So a drill was evolved whereby the entire crew, except the Captain and engineer assemble on the wingtip with a float forcing that down. The pinnace would position under the other wing, until help arrives.  Did I hear you say simple enough?? Let me run you thro.
Touchdown. . . . . ". Broken Float Port" The W/Op seated next to the astro hatch, leaps up open hatch,  grabs the end of a coil of rope permanently stowed and secured by the hatch and runs to the end of the starboard wing, sits and pulls rope taut.  He is followed by the rest of the crew, until all are seated on the wingtip. . . . I forgot to mention. . . . . . . the Captain must retain enough speed, around forty knots to have aileron effectiveness to hold wings level. You have to run 5 to 6 feet behind two Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps. If you run too slow you will be blown off, too fast, can you stop? The wing is covered with the remains of seagull crap . . . . and its bloody December and its getting dark.  Get the drift? During this the pinnace, who knows what going to happen runs behind to pick up any poor bugger who's gone "Oggin Bobbin".
We did okay.  no one fell off. We taxied in, moored up refuelled and put the aircraft to bed, meanwhile the Boss and the Trappers left without comment.

The following morning we had a pre-planned visit to Saunders Roe at Cowes. We had the conducted tour of SRA 1 and the Princess Flying Boat. A big beautiful aicraft. The flight deck was huge. It was such a pity no suitable engines could be found.  They were mothballed at Calshot for several years before being scrapped. After lunch on the Company, we returned to Calshot on the Pinnace to get exam results and final assessment.

We met with our respective examiners for a fairly detailed rundown on the evaluation flight. Points where we could improve, pithy comment. After all this was a jealously guarded exclusive band we were attempting to join!!
We then gathered in the main lecture room to be addressed by the Boss.  I remember his remarks to this day. . . " Congratulations Gentlemen" You are now that enviable combination of Aviator and Sailor.  You have reached Valhalla. The cream of His Majesty's Royal Air Force. Your efforts to complete this Course in a small amount of time are noteworthy, but you still have much to learn and We wish you well.  You will now leave on 14 days embarkation leave before your posting to Far East Flying Boat Wing, Seletar, Singapore.

It may be over dramatic, but I'll tell you anyway.  Can you imagine my feelings?? I was 21 years of age, to quote my old English Master "I had reached the Acme of my Pinnacle". . . the world was my oyster and. . . . . I was a FLYING BOAT MAN.
Now entitled to have verdigre on my hat badge, walk with a roll and the final accolade.  Spit to windward.
I can look out my lounge window, over Southampton Water to Calshot, see Calshot Castle, the old Sunderland Hangers, now a Activities Centre. Nearly sixty years have passed but gentlemen some things have not changed.  I can still splice wire ropes read flag hoists, love that aircraft and still hate bloody seagulls!!!

Thats the end of conversion. Can pen some more of my time in the Far East If you like. Your call?

More….

So pleased you like the stories so far. Its my pleasure to recall my youth and yes I do think I flew some fantastic aircraft. All a result of being in the right place in interesting times.  I went on to fly all three Shacks. Managed to have a nine year break from Coastal Command and flew all three V Bombers. Two Squadron tours and then a spell at Boscombe Down, before returning to St Mawgan for the conversion to Nimrod before hanging up my flying helmet. but back to the Sunderland.

Arriving at Changi, ironically in a 24 Sqdn.  Hastings. The unit I was originally posted to. Via El Adem,
Habbaniya, Karachi Negombo and Butterworth. The crew was split three ways between the three resident squadrons, 88, 205 and 209.  we only flew once again as a crew, Tourex,  bringing a boat back to Pembroke Dock.
I was to join a crew consisting of all old hairy's, been on boats thro WWII and had "More time on boats than you have had hot dinners's lad" a phrase I was to hear often!! I did the neccesary thing, tugged my forelock, stayed shtum and walked the regulation two paces behind the Skipper, with perhaps the occassional "Aye Aye'.

FEFBW's area of operations was vast, from the Maldives, Ceylon in the West, to Japan/Korea in the East. North to Hong Kong and South to the Christmas Isles.  We carried out SAR for most of that area, although the USN was responsible for the Phillipines and Japan. The Wing carried out strikes in Malaysia against the Communists. Kept three boats at Iwakuni, rotated month and month about between the three squadrons. Flying Anti-Sub and weather recce for the two Carrier Task Forces east and west of Korea, plus anti shipping patrols on Tushima Straits between Korea and Japan.  Anti Pirate patrols between N. Borneo and Southern Phillipines. Malacca Straits. Exercises with the French Navy off Indochina, USN, RAN and RN. Plus of course the odd "Jolly"
SAR ment keeping a boat at China Bay, Trincomalee Ceylon and Hong Kong, occassionally Glugor, Penang. These were all regular units with marine craft support. We also had a commitment in N. Borneo, where we operated unassisted. I was most impressed, that whether it be land in the sea or on a river, within minutes of arriving a "Shell" boat/canoe or scow would appear loaded with fuel in 5 gallon tin cans! which then had to be lugged up on the wing and poured into the tanks via large funnels and chamois leather filters. Fascilities ashore were nonexistent. There were no hotels, we occassionally were put up in a Goverment Rest House. But as we had to maintain a boat guard, and being the junior, I often stayed onboard. For which we were paid the lordly sum of sixpence a day"Hard Lying Allowance" It was no hardship, we had bunks, a galley and could fish, or use the wingtip as a diving board for a swim. Shangri-La.
Each crew had their own aircraft and as we flew in just a pair of shorts and a headphone crews kept their kit on board, we did not wear Mae Wests and only used winter flying kit in Japan during the cold weather, but more of that, later.
The majority of flights involved a large amount of transit flying, usually in excess of 10 hours, operational flights between 12 and 15 hours and 100-120 hours monthly totals were the norm.
In flight rations were always bulk rations. Meat, Veg usually canned and in some places were of dubious quality, so each crew had a lockable tin trunk on board where we accumulated tinned goodies, mainly acquired from our American cousins at Sangley Point, very generous, help yourself. Tinned Ham, Fruit, Welches Grapejuice etc.  Each crew had two Gunners, whose only flying tasks occured on operational trips. They usually were the cooks.  we had two Primus stoves in a built in unit with a Oven/Hotbox between and it was the same unit used by the Empire Flying Boats so we ate well usual fryups, but on winter patrols up north it was large bowls of rib sticking mutton stew washed down with fruit and custard.  The crew was divided into Port and Stbd.  watches, those not flying helped in preparation, peeling spuds, chopping up various items it worked well and in my time we fed members of the Royal Family on a tour of Borneo. Various Senior Officers of all three Services, who seemed to like flying with us . An Arch Bishop and last but not least ladies from the Foreign Office in Hong Kong to Seletar on indulgence. No complaints.  Although I must tell this one. At Iwakuni, we were supplied inflight rations by the Australian Army Service Corp.  The meat always seemed to be scrag end of mutton!! It was either get back at the Poms, or it was all the Aussies fed their troops on.  Our equivalent of Gordon Ramsey was a dour Scottish Highlander Gunner, rarely did an emotion of anything other than distain cross his features! but he was a talented cook, or so we thought, and he kept a stock of secret herbs for his stews. We often had requests from American Air Force Officers to fly with us out of Iwakuni, something to do with the award of the "American Air Medal" if they completed a operational flight.  On this occassion, winter, bloody cold, no heating on the aircraft, stew, in large quantities was the order of the day. This particular Major had somehow got up Jocks nose, probably said something rude about his coffee.  He sat down in the wardroom with the skipper to have Jock serve his lunch. having tasted it. he congratulated Jock on the dish and asked what it was? The skipper swears Jock without batting an eyelid, explained that in Korea, the crew developed a liking for dog stew, it was his pleasure to serve it whenever he could manage to get one, and today it was a particularly nice little bitch that he managed to procure. !! I think he is still spitting, however, after that the story got around and American visitors used to bring their own rations, plus some for the crew. So we all did well.

Before you all start thinking it was all just a swan, with tropical sunshine and brown maidens. I will tell it as it was. Although we did live it up, we did play hard and work hard, as and when required. By todays standards in somewhat primitive conditions at times.

More yet…

The crew I joined had the Wing IRE as skipper, caused me to go a bit Crinkle Chip, but he proved to be not only the wings most experienced pilot, but a first class chap, took me under his wing and taught me to a standard that was to stand me in good stead in years to come.
Our aircraft DP198 "Oboe", yes we used the old phonetic alphabet, had just come off major servicing, so a shake down trip was in order.  14. 15 hours to the Andaman Isles, overfly and return. No snags. Now ready for my first detachment of the tour.
We departed Seletar in the wee hours, one could not land at Kai Tak at night, too many unlit junks and sampans. In a emergency a flarepath could be provided in a bay 5nms away, followed by a long taxi escorted by marine craft.  Sometimes we routed via Sangley Point in the Phillipines, usually in the Typhoon season.
Halfway we changed from Singapore to HK area of responsibility and although we called theFrench in Saigon, they rarely answered. The W/Op would pass our ETA, request latest weather etc and ask the HK operator to book a table for ten at Tshenkos Russian Restaurant in Kowloon, and order a roast sucking pig. This was a first night HK ritual. These boys knew how to live! Arriving at Kai Tak, refuelled, went ashore for a quick shower, change of clothes and piled into two taxis for the fleshpots of Kowloon.  After a sumptuous meal of Borch, Roast Sucking Pig and all the trimmings, we departed for a short walk to the renown "Hotel Peninsular" a right den of iniquity!! where "Ladies of the Night" sat lined up on barstools, high heeled shoes hooked over a rung so the soles of their shoes were visible, thereon was displayed in HK Dollars the price of their "Service" It was soon made apparent to me that as an apprentice, I could look but not touch Bugger!!
After a couple of drinks, back to base, we had another 10 hour trip tomorrow.  Another dawn takeoff, detour around Formosa and the long haul past the Phillipines, Okinawa to the Inland Sea, passing myriads of small islands, heavily cultivated with terraced fields to alight at Iwakuni, an ex Japanese Navy base, comprised of a seaplane base, airfield, barrack complex, Hospitals, Messes married quarters.  A joint Australian/Anglo/American combined organisation. For some strange reason, not understood at that time, each crew was accomodated in Married Quarters amid American dependants. Each crew had a house and a bungalow for Officers, we also had two Japanese housemaids to clean and do laundry
It was bitterly cold, I had left Singapore in the 90's 48hours ago, now there was snow on the ground. To exacerbate the situation I had a severe case of sunburn, trying to emulate my brown crewmates, Id overdone it. the transit flight was very uncomfortable. So I was packed off to the Base Hospital. Dont let anyone tell you Aussie Nursing Sisters have an ounce of compassion, they don't. Even my boyish good looks counted for zilch.  I suppose when you are used to dealing with wounded from Korean battlefields, a berk with sunburn does not rate much in the way of sympathy. A dollop of something like "Hellmans Mayonnaise and I was sent packing.

Iwakuni was a vast complex.  It handled troops in transit, troops on R&R, wounded, all three Services were involved of at least three nations and the infrastructure was accordingly large.  We had the PX, Naafi, a unit called Comex. Huge entertainment theatre, where I was privileged to see "The Bob Hope Show" Marilyn Monroe [she had just married Joe Di-Maggio, the baseball player] Terry Moore and Jane Russell in tiger skin bikinis!! There were many more, including the latest film releases.  This was the scale of the American contribution. ENSA our organisation to provide entertainment for the troops was not to be beaten!!! One show I remember had some old biddy who played"Greensleeves on the piano and a burke who told"Max Millar" jokes! There were times I was ashamed to be a Brit.
We had 24 hours off.  The aircraft were to be armed and got ready for Ops.  we had to draw winter flying clothing which was a farce. I appreciate that we could not be equipped and retain Irving jackets and trousers. in a tropical enviroment, they would have been covered in mildew within a week. We had enough problems with our UK uniforms but some bean counter in FEAF worked out that as only three crews would be deployed at any one time. ergo, three sets of Irving Jackets and Trousers Now I am 6ft. 4inches tall allow for the fact the "Old Hairys had it all worked out long before me.  I got what was left. I could be recognised from a mile away. I ended up with a set belonging to a dwarf! my sleeves ended just below the elbows and my trews well above the ankles. but I learnt fast for future deployments.  So you see when it comes to equipping the boys for the job in hand, nothing has changed. Bean Counters always win.
The RAF shared the operational commitment with a USN VP Squadron of fifteen Mariners>the Flying schedule was Operational flight, Day Off, Duty?Standby Crew. Repeated every three days. So in the usual month you would fly 10 Operational Flights. then return south.

Tomorrow my first Operational trip.

Sunderland DP198 in its later years became W for "Whisky" and I took a photo of it alighting at China Bay in the summer of 1957.

http://i145. photobucket. com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20China%20Bay/ChinaBay1957-SunderlandWAlighting. jpg

And as to the overnight stop at RAF Glugor,  I took this photo of the crew refuelling.

http://i145. photobucket. com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20China%20Bay/ChinaBay-SunderlandOverwingrefuelling. jpg

Cont…

I used to enjoy China Bay SAR detachments. laying about in the sun, fishing, snorkling.  There used to be a little handing over ceremony. As we were a lodger unit to the Navy at Trincomalee, accomodation ashore was a bit sparse. A enterprising local had errected a Basha Hut [made of palm fronds], which served the purpose of a bar. This gave way to the following ritual. Each crew would choose their smallest member. A line was drawn on the sand floor six feet from the wall, the four strongest would take an arm or leg and on the count of three, throw him thro the wall. Where his nose came to rest, a small flag would be placedIt was then the turn of the other crew. The losers would buy the beer for the rest of the night!! A small reimbursement was made to the owner to effect repairs.  Okay, pathetic, but there was little else in the way of entertainment:\

The first of 74

My first operational flight was called by the Americans a "Fox Green".  Anti-Sub. Anti-Shipping and/orWX Recce if flown at night, when a American Met.  Officer was added to the crew.  These flights were flown for Task Force 76 positioned in the Yellow Sea. Usually flown by the Sunderlands, as the Chinese had a nasty habit of shooting at the Mariners. They would attack from astern with 37mm cannon and break off before in machine gun range. At least one Mariner was shot down and several damaged. Why a Sunderland. . . . the only explanation I was ever given why we were not attacked, Mariners are painted dark blue, Sunderlands are white. Which just happens to be a Chinese funeral colour. . . bit like shooting at a hearse!!

0400. hrs. early call. get dressed. some pulled their long johns and shirts over their pyjamas, remember no heating on board.  Into the crew coach to Briefing, grab a cup of coffee. no breakfast, the Messes were not open, perhaps the reason we were in married quarters,  Get latest weather, task and any pertinent info from the Briefing Officer and with his cheery"Life expectancy in the sea today 2 minutes " ringing in our ears, back on the crew coach for the journey down to the pier,  Check F700, quick word with Chiefy and onto the launch and out to the trots. Let me remind you again, no heaters, no warm air blowers, just a cold soaked aircraft. The temperature usually minus something. It could be raining/snowing. The crew had to handle chains and shackles without gloves. The engineer had a particularly hazardous job of lowering the leading edge of the wing to start the APU. It could all be very cold and dodgy. Start up, taxy out into the bay, runup, check in with Control, the seaplane tender, USN "Salisbury Sound" moored in the bay, mother ship for the VP Sqdns.  It provided the pinnace and was our communication centre throughout the flight. Although apart from "On Task" and "Off Task" messages we maintained radio silence, the frequency was monitored for broadcasts every 30 mins.  which could give change of task or diversion.

Airborne at 0600 hrs.  we headed for the Shimonaseki Gap. the passage between the two main Islands, leading to the Tsushima Straits. which divide Japan from Korea.  We were equipped with ASV VI. C centrimetric radar,  designed for detecting periscopes, snorkels, small targets. Consequently it had a wide pulse width, find a tin can in a calm sea at 5nm. But it wasnt much use for map reading, it bridged over inlets and gaps.  We therefore used to get the radar operator to practise taking us thro at 500ft. . The passage was W shaped, with HT cables at 200ft, with high ground either side. We always out of preference flew 1000ft.  or below. The alternative was to climb to 7000ft.  and letdown blind the other side. No Area Radar in those days.  Once clear of Shimonaseki, one headed north for Task Force 77 south of Vladivostock, or continued West around Korea before heading North into the Yellow Sea for Task Force 76. Depending where they were a 3 to 4 hour transit. All navigation was DR, we had no aids apart from radar. We did have a D/F loop but there were no M. F. beacons.
Once airborne, Tea/Coffee, Bacon sandwiches all round and the Meat/Veg prepared for the inevitable stew.

Entering the Patrol Area, it was Lock and Load, which I believe is the current phraseology, all guns were tested, Bomb racks run out and circuits checked, we carried 250 lb,  depth charges, turrets and beam . 5's manned, ready for action we started our patrol. The one thing we tried never to do, was overfly the Task Force, Navy gunners have notoriously twitchy fingers! and I dont think their aircraft recognition was all that good.
Depending on task given, we could be on patrol between the TF and Chinese Mainland looking for subs.  and fast patrol boats. All Sunderlands carried the callsign "Watchman, we guarded a VHF channel . If the trip was a weather recce, we would have come on task at midnight, carried out the same patrols, but at dawn passed weather observations to the TF for that days missions. Occasionally when flying between the TF and the Korean coast, we would get a call from observors on off shore islands for relay to the TF. Must have been the equivalent of todays Navy Seals. It was so cold, it was normal for ice to form on the galley roof from condensation. We could plug in up to four positions so that crewmembers could use electrically heated socks and gloves, more than four, blew the fuse, so it was the nose and tail turrets plus the beam . 5's.
After six hours on task. we would depart. bomb racks run in, guns stowed hatches closed and the long transit back.  Once approaching Tsushima the weather socked in, the radar was on the blink.  so we had to climb to 8000ft.  to clear high ground. we subsequently flew into a embedded CuNim Tropical CuNims are BIG B****RDS!! we dropped like a brick, full power, went down like an elevator. we finally came out, fortunately over the sea at 1000ft.  and crept back to Iwakuni. After refuelling, debriefing, you had had a long cold 18 hour day. ALL I wanted was a hot bath and bed.
As an aside, for that flight I was awarded two Medals!! British Korean Campaign and United Nations Medal. seeing as Seletar was an operational posting my first flight entitled me to the General Services Medal[Malaysia] So I had earned three campaign medals in six days. Commonly referred to as the"Easy Three"

And still more…

The rest of the month soon passed. Two convoy escorts in the Wonsan area. two more Fox greens and one refuelling group for Task force 77 off the east coast and four Tsushima Straits patrols. All Anti-Sub and shipping patrols.

We returned to Seletar via Kai Tak.  Oh it was great to be warm again and fly in shorts! Carried out my first anti-Pirate patrol in the Mallacca Straits, visited Glugor, Mallacca, then to China Bay for ASR for ten days.  On return, air test, loop swing Off to North Borneo, Labuan, Kudat Anti -Pirate patrols off N. Borneo for several days and return to Seletar.
My next trip was to be my first "Firedog" operating against the insurgents in Malaysia.
Its not my intention to relate all the history of the insurgency, suffice to add that a terrorist band having been located, or suspected to be operating in a area from strikes on villages/rubber plantations/intelligence. The area would be ringed with troops. First in would be either Lincolns or Brigands from Tengah to drop some heavy stuff to wake them up. We then followed and did our stuff for the next two hours. Hoping to drive them out into the troops.

If you have ever flown over primary jungle, you will know, its as featureless as a one colour carpet.  we were given coordinates and where the troops were. Usually there was some evidence of the previous strike, but not always, the jungle can absorb a lot. We would establish a datum. Road/river. high ground, something we could perform timed runs from. The last thing we wanted to do was bomb our own chaps! We were loaded with a bomb room full of crated 20lb fragmentation bombs, four to a box.  Armourers had loaded and crutched eight either side on the bomb racks. These were dropped on the first run by the Nav. from the nose. Thereafter our lords and masters at FEAF HQ.  thought we should bring the bomb racks in, load and crutch attach nose pin lanyard and run out ready for the next run. with the bomb room stacked high with boxes it would have taken all day!! Old Hairy's knew a better way.  open a load of boxes, remove pin stack vertical eight to a box either side.  Nav in nose does timed run, now, now now, crewmember in galley on intercom, gives the signal . two members in bomb room throw bombs out of hatch, one by one. Works perfectly! Now there can be the odd diversion!! these boxes were stored in open sheds. it quite common to open the lid and find a red ants nest! in which case, heavo, entire box and contents thro the hatch.  The odd nonchalant throw, bomb hits cill,  bounces back into bomb room!! First time I saw this, I nearly S**t a brick. . . casual smile by old hairy, picked up thrown out.  The bombs had a spin off nose cap, which had to be removed before it became armed.
Having continued in this fashion for about an hour, we would, tidy up close bomb doors and man the guns. Down to just above treetops,  and again with timed runs open up. Usually with no specific target in sight, just keep the buggers running hopefully. The pilots could not join in with the fixed nose guns, trajectory too flat. Time over target usually around 1. 30.  Then what was known as a "Flag Wag" We would return very low level roaring over villages to let them see we were about and perhaps scattering a few chickens and water buffaloes in the paddy fields.
I did 24 of these, nearly reached the total of 100 Ops.  Many of the chaps did, not that it ment anything,  but its a nice round figure!

Another contribution to the story. . .

So I thought I'd add a little more colour in the form of the only photo I took in colour of a Sunderland.

http://i145. photobucket. com/albums/r231/thawes/GAN/SunderlandP-Copy. jpg

Taken around mid September 1958 at Gan,  this 205/209 Sqn aircraft (“P” ML797) was one of the last Sunderlands to visit Gan.  On this occasion it had been tasked to fly from China Bay in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) to Male,  the capital of the Maldives and return to China Bay with some UK diplomats from the UK High Commission in Ceylon,  but on arrival at Male it damaged a float whilst attempting to alight in a severe swell; it then diverted to Gan and after temporary repairs it returned to Seletar via China Bay.

According to the 205/209 squadron Operations Record Book in the National Achives at Kew,  the last Sunderland to visit Gan was on 20th December 1958,  but this was after I'd left the island on posting back to the UK.

History is attached to this particular aircraft (“P” ML797) because on 20th May 1959 at RAF Seletar it flew the final RAF Sunderland flight with the C in C FEAF,  Air Marshal The Earl of Bandon on board.

And here is a photo of the C-in-C ("The Abandoned Earl") having a beer with some of his men on an earlier visit to Gan.

http://i145. photobucket. com/albums/r231/thawes/GAN/AOCVisit2. jpg

Cont…

A few lighter moments;
The places we routinely visited, and the fact that Customs & Excise was non-existent was just too much for some.  The undoubted "King" was our other Gunner, Bill,  a cockney. He was more like a travelling salesman. He had a finger, if not a whole arm in all the rackets that could produce cash. He was a "Ladies Man-Par Excellence"could charm the birds off the tree.
He was the only chap I knew in FEFBW to have a brand new Car!! Remember this was not long after WWII andsuch commodities were only just starting to flow. He was not selfish, he did let us in on some of his routine items. Ive absolutely certain many more lucrative schemes he kept to himself.  One could for instant buy a Rolliecord reflex camera in Hong Kong and providing the seals on the box were intact, sell it for double in any shop in Iwakuni. Likewise ladies shoes, bought cheap by the suitcase full in HK [remember to buy small sizes]. Could be disposed of with out bother. There was a snag. On Base, two currencies were used, BAFS for UK/Aussies, Script forUS. Either was convertible into Yen, but Yen was NOT convertible. Therefore one lived ones social life off base on your ill-gotten gains,  or tried to buy something in the way of Japanese Porcelain, Carved Cherry Wood, something you wanted, or you drank a lot!! Bill had a source of cultivated pearls!! which he sold for another, albeit he said, " small profit" to a merchant in Singapore, putting his gains back into Singapore Dollars ready for the next round of his enterprise.

Fluffy Huggists, are not a new phenomen. Communicable Sexual Disease was obviously causing concern amongst the hierarchy. So. . . . . . . The Archbishop of Lichfield was summoned to give the lads a talking too. . . As if that was going to do any good?
We just happened to be off to Iwakuni and the Venerable gentleman and party, were to be transported. We left at crack of sparrows early Sunday morning, were about halfway To Kai Tak, when we got a message on the intercom that one of his acolytes wished to visit the flight deck. Not unusual. He appeared and approached the skipper and said"His Eminence would like to hold a short prayer meeting in the Wardroom, would any member of the crew wish to attend?" The skipper said yes we would all come, which somewhat confused him, and he shot back to the Wardroom. George was in, so leaving just the Flt. Eng.  we all trooped down after the skipper had a quick word on the intercom. All squeezed into the Wardroom to find the Bishop being talked to rather animatedly by his acolyte. The Bishop said he wished to bless us all and was certain we had more important tasks to perform. In all the shortest service Ive ever attended!!!

More Contin….

Caramba,  I am so pleased you have enjoyed my stories. Although I was at Calshot at the same time as your Dad, remember I was a sprog, he WAS a Flying Boat Man. to quote the "Two Ronnies", I looked up to him, he looked down on me!:)
I am very aware that I came to the Sunderland as a young man, now 79, there cannot be too many of us left. I am priveledged to put these stories in the public view.  Delighted they have been so well received.  I had just composed my latest,  which I had not intended to post yet, but in view of your post and the places you name. I thought you might like it.

The Royal Flight.

!952.  HRH Princess Marina. The Duchess of Kent, accompanied by her son, The Duke of Kent, were to make a tour of the Far East. Part of this tour was to include a ten day visit to North Borneo. At that time the only landing strip existed on Labuan Island. So it was decided that the Royal Party would be flown in a Sunderland. I often wondered how she felt about that, as her husband had been killed flying a Sunderland? Using a operational aicraft for the tour was a bit of a headache, when it came to providing suitable accomodations. Although the longest planned flight was five hours, all possible contingencies had to be catered for. It was decided that SZ578 on major servicing would be the the aircraft.  and would be repainted dazzling white, with modifications to the Wardroom and other "Facilities".  To this end soundproofing, cushions with slip covers, carpeting, electric fans, teak coffee table and the Wardroom resprayed a tasteful dove grey.  A Icebox was fitted in the galley.  The next question to be addressed. Who was to Captain the aircraft? My skipper was chosen, he was adamant that he wanted his own crew, so yours truly became a member of the "Royal Crew".  The entire crew was not needed, no Gunners would be taken, but we did have a "Savoy" trained Chef added to our number. He hated flying, but what that man could achieve with two primus stoves and a hotplate was amazing!.  The Ice box was liberally stocked and although the Royal Party consumed very little, canapes and chilled white wine,  We did well! We were also provided with snazzy white flying overalls, boy did we look good. BUT.  the bean counters again!! we were give one set for a ten day trip in the tropics, no laundry facilities? Try mooring and slipping with greasy anchor chains, shackles etc in the temps we operated in and maintain an immaculate appearance. We evolved a scheme whereby we would prepare the aircraft on short slip, ready to start. Then change into white suits.  One crew member in the bow in white suit, the rest of us lined up on the wing. Royal party on board, down on the flight deck shed suits, start up taxi out, takeoff. The chap in the bow would leave as soon as the Duchess was in the Wardroom. to be replaced by another crew member hidden in the heads, that way we managed to keep them somewhat respectable, although we did warn the ADC that should any member of the Royal Party wish to visit the flight deck, we needed some ten minutes notice or they could be some embarassment.  But I get ahead of myself.

Anyone who has been involved in any simular operation will know the B*lls**t and panic resorted too, by those responsible for planning. We had, in another aircraft a run thro the trip to check moorings, at Kuala Belait, on a river the mooring buoy was attached to a concrete block that was bloody useless, the river was full of debris. It turned out in the end the Government Officer arranged for the Dyaks upriver to stop all rubbish from coming down. At Sandaken. we were expected to moor to a normal ship buoy, around ten foot long, six foot diameter. If the boat was blown, or swung by the tide we would have been holed. This was all sorted and it was decided that an armed boatguard would be needed, capable of slipping and taxying the boat. quess where I came in?

The final rehearsal in the Royal Aircraft, involved the AOC and Mrs AOC plus hangers on for a full run thro the entire ten day programme. They ate considerably more food than the Royal Party! but it turned to our advantage latter, more for us.  Ever had Foie Gras sandwiches, chilled white wine, sat on the wing, watching the sunset, followed by smoking the Royal Markowitz Black and White cigarettes? I have!! followed early the next morning by a launch approaching out of the mist??!! We were not expecting anyone until mid morning, clutching our Webly 38s we told them to stand off and explain what they wanted. A rather immaculate gent stood up and in a plummy voice said "HRH has expressed a preference for brown toast for breakfast. Unfortunately we do not have any, but understand you might have some". To which the Eng.  replied, "sorry mate we ate it last night"
The tour went without out incident and was a great success. The itinerary was;
Seletar to Kuching
Kuching to Sibu.  Sibu to Kuching
Kuching to Jesselton
Jesselton to Sandakan. Sandakan to Jesselton
Jesselton to Brunei
Brunei to Kuala Belait
Kuala Belait to Seletar.
In between we popped over to Labuan to refuel and restock the ice box.  We were quickly relieved of our snazzy flying suits, on the very day we returned to Seletar. !!
I subsequently met HRH, when she presented the standard to 57 Squadron at Honington in1962. she greeted my wife and I like long lost friends, asked after our son, and chatted for five minutes. Now I realise they are briefed in advance, but this was one gracious Lady.

Cont…

Now Gentlemen, [I dont think any Ladies are reading this thread] Impressed by your impeccable good manners, desire to hear all about my travels. Ive decided to let it all hang out. As they say.

"A Samurai may be named according to Feudal Alliance, Skills and Attributes"

Some 18 months into my tour. I'd been there,  seen it and sampled all that Iwakuni Town had to offer. We had many opportunities for a flight to Tokyo, but rarely had more than one day off, so we could not travel far.  A friend and I decided to explore the the immediate countryside, hired two little motorbikes and set off for a village about 25 miles down the coast to the West that we passed over on flights in and out of Iwakuni.

Dirt roads, hot and sunny, by time we arrived we were covered in dust and hot and thirsty.

In feudal Japan, War Lords travelled through their domain by sedan chair, accompanied by Samurai on horseback and foot soldiers. At strategic places were Inns, for the want of a better name, where his needs and accomodation could be catered for. This village contained what remained of one.  We pulled up outside, Now Westerners were not commonly seen in these parts, we seemed to have slipped back a century. Peasants popped out from everywhere, bowing and hissing. [fortunately we were aware that when in the presence of someone to whom you consider yourself inferior, you suck in your breath, to indicate that you are not contaminating the air they breath, !! quaint eh?].
We asked for a drink and were ushered into the Inn and seated. Sake was offered, but politely declined. beer was proffered, two young ladies knelt by our side and topped up our glasses as we drank. I had acquired a smattering of Japanese by this time and as we were only allowed off base in uniform, they wanted to know what our brevets meant, we explained with suitable gestures we flew the aircraft that passed over their village daily. Lots of OOHS and AAHHS.  The Owner/Manager had been summoned, appeared very flustered and spoke very rapidly, getting him to slow down, finally understood he wanted to know if we required to bathe! Now communal bath houses are not really our style, but what the heck! we were covered in dust and a long way from base! there is a first time for everything.
We were escorted to the Bath House, wherein our uniforms were deftly removed by two scantily clad nubile young maids, starkers,  seated on a three legged stool, lathered all over, rinsed and repeated. Japanese do not consider nudity in this context at all embarassing. The girls actions were not at all suggestive. We were led to the bath, about 8ft. square and 3ft,  deep in which several people were already soaking. Japanese giggle a lot and the sight of our tanned bodies and white backsides were too much for them. After all they are the same colour all over! Japanese can be very personal, although no offense is meant. One old crone passed a remark causing great hilarity. I caught the word "sword" which was obviously reference to the male appendage, commonly referred to as "The Sword of Pleasure"Japanese men apparantly are not particularly well endowed it would seem! We slowly tried to inch into the bath, but it was just too dammed hot.  We were offered a steam room, Shed with benches, water poured onto hot rocks and left alone for 15 mins.  The same two maidens reappeared, rinsed us off with warm water and towelled off. They then produced our uniforms, which had been laundered and beautifully pressed, how this was accomplished in such a short space of time I dont know.  Payment for all this was a pittance, no gratuities would be accepted. We were escorted to the front door, where it appeared the entire village had been assembled.  The Manager gave a short speech,, received with much applause, he saw that we did not understand and motioned for us to wait. He reappeared with a piece of ricepaper on which were a string of Japanese characters. We thanked them and with much bowing and hissing we rode off.
Later I asked one of the Mess receptionists if she would translate for me. She read it, giggled, showed it to the other receptionist and upon regaining her composure, said "You have been given a Samurai name, Winged Warrior with a Mighty Sword" She paid me an inordinate amount of attention after that!! But Ive never really understood if that was Japanese humour. A compliment?, or was he taking the Piss. ???

Now Ive told you chaps in confidence. . . Im sure you will keep my little, sorry big secret, won't you?

And yet more…

June 28th 1953.
We were tasked to pick up a Admiral, General and a AVM, who had been attending a SEATO Conference in Manila and return them to Singapore. We were to position at USN Sangley Point. Some two days previous a Typhoon had swept thro the Phillipines and on arrival the sea state was a bit rough. Normal procedure was for crew members to assume ditching positions, on the upper deck between the main spars.
We made our approach, on initial touchdown, an almighty bang, intercom went dead and the first reaction was full power and we staggered back into the air. We had hit a submerged object. Sorting ourselves out. one of the Gunners, Joe Ibbotsen by name came forrad and told us there was a "Bloody great hole int bottom" we informed Sangley Tower of our predicament and requested flypast to confim damage. They reported a large portion of the planing surface was missing mid Wardroom to step.  They further wanted to know if we would be landing on the field. This was quickly declined. No Brakes!! decided we were better off in our own element and would try to beach her. Time was of the essence, it would be dark in thirty minutes.  we selected a spot down the coast, shallow water, sandy beach, near Cavite City. Aimed to touch down about 4-600 yards out and run her onto the beach. Informed Sangley of our decision and made the approach, just before touchdown, closed throttles hauled back hard nearly on the stall, to try and use the bit of hull aft of the step, we achieved this, only to pitch quickly forward as the sea entered, came to an abrupt stop and quietly sank in about 25 feet of water, wings just awash, popped the dinghies out of the wing stowages, boarded and paddled ashore. Apart from a few bruises, nobody was hurt. Shortly after the cavalry arrived Ambulances, Firetrucks and a USN Patrol boat.  Which subsequently stood by the wreck all night to stop the locals who would have removed everything movable!Apart from jackets and personal belongings hung up in the Wardroom. The Captains briefcase with $1000 imprest. was also there.
We were taken back to Sangley, checked in Sick Bay. The Base Commander then took us to our respective Messes, at which we were provided shirts and royally looked after.
We were to be flown back to Seletar by the USN, which I would have enjoyed, but an exchange of signals with FEAF. It was decided a Squadron aircraft would be sent to pick us up.
The next day{Complete with hangover] we returned to Cavite to advise on location of pyrotechnics for removal by Navy divers, who also brought up some personal stuff, but sadly no imprest! They also positioned wide canvas strops, fore and aft of the wing. The intention was to lift the boat onto a barge, using a floating crane. Both of which were enroute

A quick note to those amongst us, never to have been fortunate to have served in the Armed Forces,  It is generally common to all military services for junior officers to be given supernumary duties, these usually bear no relation to your primary duties.

In my time I have been Officer i/c Station Band! I cannot read a note of music.  The best. Secretary to the RAF Changi Golf Club. For my exemplary duty I was made a Life Member. Then some silly B*****ds built Singapore International Airport on it!!
I digress.  The crane had an Officer i/c a Lt.  j. g. resplendent in shining whites, obviously out to make his number. There was quite a bit of Brass about including the Base Commander.  Lt. j. g.  having checked on the weight of the plane, but entirely overlooking she was filled with water, ordered the owner of the crane, A Hairy Assed Three Badged Stoker. to lift.  he demurred, quitely talking, he wanted to lift, drain, lift drain etc. I gave you an order said Lt, jg.  where on Hairy shrugged and applied steady lift, neatly pulling out the centre section.  "Peter" was now in five different parts.  Not that it mattered, she was scrap anyway and would be written off.  I often wondered about his promotion prospects?
It was then decided to pull the wings, nose and tail sections onto the beach, where we advised on draining tanks. The footnote to this story, the crew arriving to pick us up were somewhat shattered to see the wreckage strewn on the beach and equally surprised to see us all in one piece.
The aircraft concerned was "Peter" of that I am positive. But in my logbook its down as-NL279. but according to Chas Bowyer's book on the Sunderland.  it does not exit?neither does ML279. Ive been thro all the possible permutations . no luck. Any idea's?

PS.  A Hairy Assed Three Badge Stoker.  Is another nautical term to denote someone of considerable experience!:\

http://i85. photobucket. com/albums/k43/240Gardner/W6076smallerstill. jpg

More…

One of the most memorable "Jollies" for me was a trip to the Keeling Islands, owned by the Clunies-Ross family. Whether we went by invitation or request by Singapore who administered the Islands I do not remember. The Islands had a Cable & Wireless Station and the main industry was the coconut plantations producing copra. Situated way out in the Indian Ocean, it was my first crossing of the equator, which occurred on the 9th Oct. 1953 at 1136.  Signals had been exchanged, and we were loaded with Fruit and Veg.  from Cameroon Highlands and several packages, some spare machinery parts.

It was a long flog,  as we could not overfly Indonesia and had to fly passing the northern most tip at a place called Diamond Point, then south west.  It required an early start as it was imperitive to arrive in daylight. It gets dark at six. and you had to land inside the reefs of ring shaped Atolls. Landing on one of the boat channels we then had to proceed very cautiously, as there were uncharted coral heads. One of the only occassions when we had crew member in the bows using a leadline. Another nautical art! chanting out the calls "by the deep six" "four and a quarter" fathoms Im referring too. Felt just like Captain Hornblower! We anchored using the fishermans type anchor stowed in the bows, but rarely if ever used.

We were met by Mr John Clunies-Ross, known as King Ross.  a very nice but autocratic man.  We unloaded all the gear and were invited to a barbeque in our honour. had a great time. Left next morning Via Glugor, where we stopped to refuel.  Subsequently these flights were stopped as one boat dragged its anchor and was blown on a reef. I believe it was a writeoff.

Another trip combined with a Navex.  was to the Car Nicobar Islands. it had a landing strip of crushed coral and was only used occasionly by Varsity aircraft to refuel. It was manned by One Officer and six Airmen.  Must have been a very lonely posting.  I know he was delighted to have three officers to entertain, almost like a "Dining In Night" he remarked!.

There were times when it was difficult to takeoff, if there was a dead calm and a glassy sea.  you had to break the suction under the hull to get up on the step. It happened once in China Bay. The French were making flights to Saigon bringing in reinforements, using the Latecoaire [spelling?] flying boats they staged thro China Bay. [They also had absolutely gorgeous flight attendants] After making several abortive attempts, we assisted by getting the pinnace to zigzag in front of it to create a few waves, which was the standard operating procedure for us.  Very sad to see them get airborne!!

Once a year, jelly fish spawn,  and gathered in huge numbers in the Johore Straits at Seletar. Didnt cause us problems, but it was like alighting on a bowl of goo.  The problem was for the poor chaps who had to moorup, all the strops were covered with a film of goo, which stung like mad. Again,  one of the few occassions we endevoured to use the boathook.

Gentlemen, I have really enjoyed recounting the good old days,  Ive already stated she was a marvellous aircraft, rarely let you down. The Far East posting gave forth to a vast diversity of tasks, which made it that much more of a never to be repeated experience.  I hope you all enjoyed reading them as much as I have enjoyed relating them.

My final flights were as Krakatoa, bringing one home Tourex, when my original Calshot crew were tasked with bringing back SZ566 "Charlie via Glugor-China Bay-Korangi Creek-Bahrain-Fanara-Marsaxlokk-Pembroke Dock. without a single snag, she vitually purred.  2566 hours of unforgetable bliss.

Finally….  ?

Ive had a ball!! First let me apologise to Whirlwind/Andycap for barging in on your story. You did say it would take you a couple of weeks to assemble the story of your mothers journey. Which I look forward to reading, especially as I have family association with Imperial Airways and S23's.

I would like to express my gratitude, in particular to S'Land for his encouragement and links to the Sunderland photographs at Hendon. Tony Hayes [Warmtoast] for his superb photographs and his experiences flying Sunderlands. Which added immeasurably to the story.  all you other gentlemen for contributing associations with this era.  From messages of encouragement and PM's it obviously struck a chord.
I am convinced of the old adage " Leave them wanting a bit more" I will be back.

B&W of the famous Sunderland touch and go at the opening of Wellington airport:
YouTube - Sunderland fly past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu2qxgtFvW8

No not finally yet….

The Power of Pprune.

Its amazing that since posting my recollection of flying the Sunderland, I have had several memorable experiences.

I have been contacted by an old friend of 54 years ago and now in contact with several old squadron mates.

I have been invited to join the Goldfish Club, as apparently I am eligible for the Manila incident.

The icing on the cake. Yesterday I was invited by Trevor (Corsairoz) to the Solent Sky Museum for a conducted tour of the Sandringham (ex JM715). It was a memorable visit for me to sit on the flight deck and recall some of the old days.  Thank you Trevor and the staff at Solent Sky who made us so welcome. I left with a big lump in my throat.

Another story by another PRUNe

http://www.aussieairliners.org/shortfb/vh-brf/vhbrf.html