[BITList] Fwd: BBC News - Training course teaches nurses compassion

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 21 20:48:59 GMT 2012

Mike,

In 1986, Janet underwent a major operation behind her left ear and had a lot
of tubes in for some days.  During one visiting hour a nurse took me aside
and told me that I should tell Mrs McIntyre that, if she didn't drink her
fluids, she wouldn't get her tubes out.  I gathered Janet was being
difficult. I had a talk with her.  A day or so later there was a repeat,
only this time the tubes were going back in if she didn't drink her fluids.
I had another talk with Janet. Next day the nurse put a glass of milk down
on the bedside cabinet - "I don't care who drinks that milk, but the glass
had better be empty when I come back."  My sister, a nurse, drank it.