[BITList] Charles Murray's 'Coming Apart - The State of White America' - NYTimes.com

Malcolm malcena2 at uwclub.net
Wed Feb 8 14:04:12 GMT 2012

Hugh,

Every time I hear talk about "blue collars" I cringe. My only time I had a
blue shirt and obviously attached collar was when I was in my early
thirty's. In that era we all had our hair at least shoulder length or
longer. We did not wear our dinner suits for dinner dances we had velvet
jackets. Mine was a midnight blue one. Ena decided that I should have a silk
light blue shirt and so bought me one with the biggest frill right down the
front I had ever seen. Topped off with a dark blue bow tie. I wore this rig
out for 2 years of dancing dinners. I always felt a complete prick dressed
like that so I never ever left the house until I had got a couple of beers
and two large whiskeys down me. My only comfort was that most of the men
looked more pansy than me. NO I am not including a photo.

Malcolm.

  _____