[BITList] Dating in 1957

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 5 16:19:21 GMT 2012

Good one, Frank.  In the early 50s, my pals and I, though perfectly normal in every way, though skint, weren't great ones for actively dating the girls.  An actual date would cause rearrangements to listening to jazz sessions, though post mortems on "getting a dizzy" (bird not turning up) could be done while listening to jazz, or walking along Greenock Esplanade discussing sugar technology (one of our number worked in a sugarhouse lab).  Even during my leaves from the MN, the bunch of us on leave or otherwise would arrive at Cragburn Pavilion in Gourock via some hostelries, the main attraction being one of the Cragburn buses home, normal buses having ceased by the time we left the Queen's Hotel nearby.  Not actually having a dance with someone wasn't out of the ordinary, especially if a decent discussion took place.  I met Janet by stepping back out of someone's way and standing on her foot. She wasn't in the least pleased, and turned down my offer a compensatory dance.  A couple of weeks later I espied her, and we had a dance, and the rest is history.  That was July, 1958, when I was home studying for my 2nd's ticket. One memory I have of that time is of Mick Diamond (Atlantic Steam then Lloyds).  Mick had all the normal urges, but he was a very moral chap - he asked a lady to dance, fancying her, but the dance ended abruptly when he noticed the pale band where her wedding ring had been before she removed it. He came off the dance floor fuming.