[BITList] Check out BBC News - WC Handy's Memphis Blues: The Songof 1912

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 30 12:00:08 GMT 2012

John,

Just the thing for this neither fish nor fowl period between Christmas and New Year.  One comment asked about what instruments. To my ear it's an orchestra, and pretty well recorded for the time.  I also clicked on Joe Oliver's Riverside Blues. Louis Armstrong is playing second cornet on it - probably made in the same session as Chimes Blues, which features Armstrong's first recorded solo. I've got both on 78.  At these acoustic recordings, the brass stood well away from the horn so as to give a semblance of balance.