[BITList] OZ

wantok at me.com wantok at me.com
Mon Dec 17 22:37:04 GMT 2012

Mike,

On 18/12/2012, at 02:07 AM, M.j. Feltham <ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> An Aussie woman has won compensation after she was injured during sex while on a work trip for a federal government agency - From todays TIMES ( am unable to open the site )
>
> Tell us more !

I couldn't get a copy and paste of the article, the dirty American wants money. So I did the next best thing and took a screen grab. I know nothing more.

Just had a quick look and found the story on another site.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/worklife/worker-injured-during-sex-wins-compo/story-fn7kjdgm-1226538131527

Here is the article from the Courier Mail in Brisbane.

Worker injured during sex wins compo
by:BY STAFF WRITERS From:news.com.au December 17, 2012 8:38am 18 comments
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
A WOMAN who was injured while having sex in her hotel room during a work trip has won compensation.

After a five-year legal battle, the Federal Court dismissed an appeal from the woman's former employer, which argued that having sex during a work trip had nothing to do with her job.

However the court ruled that if the applicant had been injured while playing a game of cards in her motel room she would be entitled to compensation and the fact that the woman was "engaged in sexual activity rather than some other lawful recreational activity while in her hotel room does not lead to any different result”.

The woman who worked for workplace health insurer Comcare, claimed for facial and psychological injuries suffered when a glass light fitting came away from the wall above the bed in her motel room as she was having sex in November 2007.

RELATED COVERAGE
Comcare fights Federal Court's motel sex ruling
Adelaide Now, 12 May 2012
When sex is really the job
The Daily Telegraph, 27 Apr 2012
Pay for worker injured during sex
The Australian, 20 Apr 2012
Woman wins sex romp compo
Herald Sun, 20 Apr 2012
Worker injured during sex gets compo
Courier Mail, 19 Apr 2012

The woman's claim was initially accepted by Comcare, but following further investigation that acceptance was revoked on 21 January 2010.

However, after three appeals, the courts have ruled in the employee's favour saying that in the absence of any misconduct, or an intentionally self-inflicted injury, the woman's injuries were sustained during "the course of her employment”.

The case is significant for workplace law, broadening the scope of what is deemed to be "during the course of employment".

The woman in her late thirties was required to travel to a country town by her employer when the incident occured.

She arranged to meet a male friend there who lived in the town. They went to a restaurant for dinner and at about 10pm or 11pm went back to the woman's motel room where they had sex that resulted in her injury.

The male friend said in his statement at the time that they were "going hard” and he did not know if they bumped the light or it just fell off.

"I think she was on her back when it happened but I was not paying attention because we are rolling around.”

The court ruled in the employee’s favour by virtue of the fact that the applicant's injuries were suffered while she was in the motel room in which her employer had encouraged her to stay.

Comcare must now appeal to the High Court if it wants to overturn the decision.

18 comments on this story