[BITList] The Walls Of Jericho ...

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 16 12:18:18 GMT 2012

Frank,

Joshua was it? He probably didn't give his real name.

These tales often have a germ of truth in them. Ascertaining what (if anything) actually happened is buried under centuries, if not millennia, of oral story telling. Before I foolishly loaned it out, I used to have a book, The Praise Singer, by Mary Renault. This deals with the period (in Greek history) when the oral tradition was nearing its end, at least as the way of transmitting history and the genealogies of kings from one generation to another. Scholars were starting to record them in writing, and getting worried by the variations in them - the written version of the Iliad preserves traces of such. These "praise singers" travelled freely from one kingdom to another, often being used as diplomatic couriers.

So, somewhere a few years back, something big happened that came down as the unaccountable fall of the walls of Jericho.