[BITList] The Best Scottish Marriage Proposal

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 10 15:53:46 GMT 2012

Good one, John.  Odd proposals must be in the genes.  One day in 1961, when Janet and I had been going out together for near 3 years, we were walking down Auchenbothie Road (God knows why, for there's nothing exciting down there, unless you include the Coop).  Janet had something on her mind - she stopped, so I stopped.  "Tell me something," she said.  "Are we ever going to get married, or not, or what?"  "Ok," said I, romantically.  And so it came to pass on 15-12-61.

Almost as romantic was the meeting of my mother and father. Mum was en-route for, or coming from, a dance at the Ladyburn Rowing Club in Greenock, and she found her way barred by two youths fighting on the ground. She separated them.  One of them disappeared from history and a couple of years later she married the other.