[BITList] SeaNews - New Engine Marks Generational Change inContainer Shipping

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 6 15:07:11 BST 2012

Colin,

The previous such generational change was caused by the oil crisis in the 70s (80s?).  MAN/B&W brought out a long stroke version of their 2-cycle engine and Kincaid built a few.  As you may imagine, a lower fuel consumption was top of the list, and there were severe financial penalties for exceeding the specified figures.  We were at great pains both to ensure such and to prove it on trials. I recall on a BP tanker that BP's own staff got a lower reading that we did, both readings being below the specified figure.  One side effect of the long stroke engine was that a conventional ER crane could not be fitted, there being insufficient space above the engine.  Side mounted crane or cranes (I don't recall how many) were fitted.