[BITList] Online OCR

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Apr 20 04:10:47 BST 2012

Hugh,

On 20/04/2012, at 4:22 AM, HUGH wrote:

> I use OCR a lot, and the results aren't always like the original - often they are mostly like the original, and sometimes they are nothing like the original. Much depends on the quality of the original - a lot of careful checking and correction could be needed. And even the best results will have to be reformatted (not a big job).  However, most times it's much faster that retyping it all.

What you write is correct although it has improved a great deal since I did my first OCR.

I use an app for the Mac called Readiris. This converts most images including those that are a bit scue-wiff [sp?]

It is an excellent app. It will convert multiple jpg files into one document.

Here is an example. The original was 6 or 7 columns across.

Using Photoshop I selected each column and did a cut and save. I then had say 7 individual jpg files.

I imported these into Readiris and that app delivered a complete document which I was able to import into an email.