[BITList] Len Goodwin's Titanic

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 8 17:29:35 BST 2012

I caught the second episode of Len Goodwin's Titanic, and it wasn't quite up the quality of the first.  He's good on the human side,  but he needs new technical advisors - I assume he gets advice from somewhere on technical subjects.

The group of Harland staff who sailed with her were not guarantee staff, as the programme said. Up till I retired in the late 90s, it was relatively common for builders' staff to sail with a new building, and the reasons could be anything from unfinished work to feedback.  Kincaid had a (very) small staff of guarantee chief engineers who would sail as such for contractual reasons,  but I've never heard of guarantee plumbers, draughtsmen, etc.  The single draughtsman who sailed with her could have been there for any reason - the commentary had him as someone who had done "all the most complicated drawings" or some such, and before the programme ended he was the designer.

No engineers visible yet. One website says her "tripple" expansion engines were the size of a 3-story building.  Not this website.

http://www.uco.es/~ff1mumuj/titanic1.htm