[BITList] Shackleton's

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 14:09:52 BST 2012

Malcolm, Hugh

I wish I was as restrained as you Hugh; a bottle of whisky will not last me much more than a week.
After a hard day not at the office I feel I need a reward in the evening – hence a coupe of glasses less in the bottle.
The Glenlivet maybe less than a week – the Laphroaig probably more [but not much more].

Saw on telly recently the discovery of a few boxes of Shackleton’s Mackinlay whisky preserved as original for 100 years in Antarctica and it’s ‘recreation’

W&M’s remarkably swift recreation of Mackinlay’s has come to market just two months after the samples were brought to Scotland and is a blend of various malt whiskies including W&M flagship The Dalmore (naturally) and Glen Mhor, the original base malt for Mackinlay’s.  The replica has been bottled at the same strength as the sample of recovered whisky (47.3%), and the age of the malts used in the vatting is given as between eight and thirty years old (that’ll be the Glen Mhor, which closed in 1983). Stock of this replica treasure is expected imminently (RRP £100) and is expected to fly off the shelves.   It has not yet been revealed whether the new Mackinlay’s contains any caramel colouring, but at 47.3% it is unlikely to have been chill-filtered. 5% of the proceeeds of each sale are to be donated to the Antactic Heritage Trust, who supervised the excavation of the bottle.  This is expected to total £250,000 for the trust.

Nose…Certainly not harsh, lots of fresh fruit and a wee flicker of smoke.
Taste…Warming and smooth, a touch of pepper and a wee hint of dark chocolate, there is still a little delightful smoke, such an elegant dram it should be in an ermine gown.

Finish…Medium finish but leaves a glow throughout my palate.

Score…4 Corks

Overall score…4 Corks

A rich and elegant blended dram and as we would expect from Richard Paterson, a true likeness of the original blend that Shackleton took to the South Pole. The Whisky Boys are surprised that there were three cases left to the elements and not considered a priority when they all departed the Antarctic station.

Have you see or tried a dram or two?  I checked on line for it in the USA but its either gone or not available here.
[it would be of little use to me – I would go through it like a dose of salts].

colin