[BITList] RMA REPORTING NETWORK - 27/11

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 27 02:20:23 BST 2011

My brother in law sent this to me, thought it might be of interest to
the group
frank

--- On *Mon, 26/9/11, Royal Marines Association

    From: Royal Marines Association <chiefexec at rma.org.uk>
    Subject: RMA REPORTING NETWORK - 27/11
    To: members at rma.org.uk
    Date: Monday, 26 September, 2011, 13:30

    Dear Ladies and Gentlemen

    NATIONAL HEROES DAY - 21 OCTOBER 2011

    Heroes Day is a simple idea, so simple that it is brilliant and the
    credit has to go to a young teacher, called Danny Glavin, who has
    climbed Mount Kilimanjaro for Help for Heroes in memory of his
    footballing friend Marine Richard Hollington.Rather than just ask
    people to sponsor him, he invited schools to allow their pupils to
    honour their heroes (whoever that is -- mother, father, Buzz
    Lightyear, George Best, Winston Churchill, Christopher Columbus,
    Yuri Gagarin, their class teacher), by coming to school dressed as
    their hero for one day in lieu of school uniform.

    A few schools piloted the concept in the summer and the children and
    staff had a really great day honouring their personal heroes, some
    of the best costumes being a simple t-shirt with a picture of a
    relative serving in Afghanistan on it and children dressed as their
    great grandfathers along with their WW1 medals.Schools really got a
    buzz out of discussing with the children the difference between
    Heroes and Celebrities.As a result, hardly a football shirt was in
    sight during the pilot events.Some 20 plus schools raised on average
    just over £300 per school - there are 17,000 primary schools in the
    UK, so the maths speaks for it self.

    As the Heroes Day pilots were such a success, Richard's father,
    Robin Hollington wrote to the Prime Minister with the idea of
    starting an "Official Annual National Heroes Day" to celebrated on
    21st October, which this year falls on the Friday before the autumn
    half term for most schools.Fittingly this day coincides with
    Trafalgar Day this year.He has fully endorsed the scheme.

    Whilst the concept was originally focused on schools, there is no
    reason why businesses can't join in and many have done so.

    A revamped website has just been published -- www.heroesday.org.uk
    <http://www.heroesday.org.uk/> which, whilst still being added to,
    gives full details.Robin has asked that you take a look and promote
    the idea to as many people you know who work in schools or have kids
    in schools, particularly primary schools.However, businesses are
    also encouraged to take part and he hope to announce that a global
    software company is about to commit to take full "costumed" part on
    the day.In order to build momentum everyone and every organisation
    who would like to take part to register (details on the site here),
    so that we can meet the £1M target we have set.Whilst the funds are
    being raised for Help for Heroes, it is nominally allocated to a
    fund that is targeted on helping our severely injured Royal Marines
    in Hasler Company, many of who were Richard's colleagues in 40
    Commando last year, gain transferable business skills, so they can
    earn a good living and regain their self-respect when they
    eventually leave the Corps.

    As ever

    Charlie