[BITList] M H O :~ Congress MP - Rs 10 Lakh Cash From Sheila Dikshit's Son

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri Sep 16 07:05:57 BST 2011

Bhagwan Das, a railway coach attendant aboard 2156 Nizamuddin-Habibganj (Bhopal) Express had the shock of his life on Thursday morning when the train reached Bhopal station.

He found a bag lying on the upper berth of 'C' coupe of H-1 AC First class coach booked in the name of Congress MP Sandip Dikshit and wife Mona Dikshit.
The couple had left the coupe and had obviously forgotten to take the bag containing the moolah, all in Rs 1000 currency notes.

Bhagwan Das rushed and called in a mechanic, who in turn brought RPF constables to attend to the 'abandoned' bag, what with terrorists carrying out blasts from bags  nowadays.

The RPF constables gingerly touched the bag, found wads of currency notes inside and took it to the GRP (government railway police) at Bhopal railway station.

Soon after, a man calling himself Mr Mathur came to the GRP to pick up the bag, but the GRP officials refused to hand over the bag to him. The man said he was an 'attendant' travelling with Congress MP Sandip Dikshit.

The GRP official told Mathur to ask Sandip Dikshit to come personally so that the bag could be returned to him, but three hours after the incident, Dikshit was yet to reach the GRP.

The currency notes have been seized and will be sent to court if the MP doesn't come and collects it, said the GRP official.

Coach attendant Bhagwan Das says, he was impressed with the principles of Gandhian Anna Hazare, and decided to do a day's honest work by handing over the moolah to the officials.

"The railways give me enough salary to look after my family. I don't need so much ill-gotten money", Bhagwan Das told India TV at Bhopal Railway station.