[BITList] Fwd: BISN Itaura

David Harvey dhbison at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:46:27 BST 2011

Mr Burns set up a trading store near by to the jetty Mr Towns built on the
creek (name eludes me) that presesnt day Townsville sits on. Burns
was joined by a partner Mr Philp and as the business expanded they bought a
schooner and the business expanded to inter-island and a coastal service.
They were agents in several ports for BI and after MacDonald
Hamilton took away the agency business they did retain the agency in a few
ports and were outward agents in Sydney, Darwin was one. They had small
vessels that traded only within the South Pacific which acted as feeder
vessels for their mainline routes to Australia. The business grew across
Eastern Australia into many shore based enterprises. They purchased steamers
from E&A (who had purchased then from P&O) and ran in friendly competition
with E&A to Singapore. (E&A later switched their route to HK and Japan
dropping Singapore. MacKinnons were Agents in Calcutta I think.

They were running to Singapore and to Calcutta until around mid 50's, the
last ship on the Calcutta route was "Burnside", port of registry Glasgow.
"Montoro" ran to Singapore and another ship also of similar name.. They
carried a mixture of crews depending on their route. Pacific Islanders,
Australian deck crew and Chinese ER, or Indian crew. Some vessels carried
cadets as distinct to apprentices, in other words cadets did not sign
indentures but signed articles. Some flew the red ensign, some the
Australian red  ensign, if under the red ensign the port of registration was
Glasgow, Australian ships were Sydney IIRC and I think a few were registered
in the Islands.

I am not at home at the moment (freezing in Melbourne) so I cannot refer to
my books, but I think the only connexion between the two companies was that
there may have been a director from Burns Philp on the first board of AUSN
which was largely, but not wholly, a BI subsidiary.

"Itaura", is as we all know, a BI name, could not be a BP ship. Maybe
"Itaura" was under charter to BP.

The BP funnel was black, white on passenger motor ships with a chequered
black and white band. From a distance sometimes it could be mistaken for two
white bands. House flag red white and blue vertically with a green Scottish
thistle thereon.