[BITList] Fwd: To pee or not to Pee

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Mon Sep 12 15:38:56 BST 2011

G'day folks,

>From a Harvard trained Lawyer friend who lives in Boston.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: To pee or not to Pee
Date: 13 September 2011 12:05:14 AM AEST
To: John Feltham <wantok at me.com>

G'day John

It sounds like he was injured at sea.  I don't know where the vessel was registered but unlikely to be of US registry.  If it were, he'd be entitled to compensation under the Longshoremen and Harbor Workers Act, but I don't know if that applies to a Cayman corporation.  In the US, you can't dismiss an injured worker to avoid paying compensation and I suspect the same rule applies in maritime situations.

He may have a suit against someone - vessel owner, subcontractor(s) etc. for an unseaworthy vessel (very broad term, can include defective equipment) or perhaps a product liability suit against the mfr of whatever injured him.

Not my area of practice, and I don't want to raise false hope because I really don't know much about the area of law involved,  but he can google for maritime lawyers in the US - would suggest Louisiana, Florida, and California for a start and see if someone can give him an assist.

cheerz...