[BITList] Fwd: Re: To pee or not to Pee

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 11 11:48:44 BST 2011

Dave,
I've always managed to get my money and tickets out of the yanks, mind
you had to hang one manager out of a 10th floor window in Taiwan and
teach some manners to another in Madras much to his surprise I might
add. But they do seem to understand ones point of view when expressed in
this way, plus of course word gets around and it doesn't seem to hurt
ones employment prospects
frank

Hugh and Frank,

My son has spent the last 15 years or so working for an offshore
drilling company based here in Perth, mainly working in Australian
waters.. He was always willing to go then extra mile, do a double header
in an emergency, had sensible input into the company. Ongoing drug and
pee tests were mandatory.

Earlier this year the company was taken over by an American organisation
out of Houston, but the company is registered in the Cayman Islands.
Everything changed as previously everyone knew everyone, ashore and
afloat and the company functioned on goodwill (as did BI) as the Yanks
took over. Doug took a job working with the offshore division of the
company, lure of higher wages etc, but didn't read the small print.

Anyway he was working on a rig off Egypt in sight of Alexandria and was
there all through the Egyptian rioting. They hunkered down and had to go
without leave etc. Eventually the project was abandoned and the rig
towed to Cyprus for maintenance and to be prepared for a long tow to the
China Sea via the Cape. Doug was by this time well overdue some leave
but was kept on doing maintenance. Anyway he has a serious accident
ended up with a broken wrist plus all the other bruising and damage, he
says he is lucky to be alive.

He spent three days in hospital in Cyprus and was then dismissed. No
compensation, back pay, no nothing. the logic being that an employee
that has a serious accident will show up on the "safety record" under
"days lost due to accident". but if the employee is dismissed he is no
longer an employee and therefore a fine safety record is recorded. When
he is fully recovered he is going to find some way to blow the whistle.

That's it, no cash, find your own way home, (he lives in Thailand, and
there is no social security system there, of which I warned him) and his
financial situation is grim at the moment, he owns plenty of property
but you can't eat bricks and mortar, so he is trying to sell up. In the
meantime he is trying to get access to superannuation, from America, but
they just ignore him. The banks in Australia refuse to let the clause re
hardship come into being and are causing other grief, bullying tactics.
My other son is a lawyer, sorry Hugh (but he works with and is best
mates with an ex Union official cum advocate and they took their law
degree together, so he works on behalf of unions) and he took on the
Bank, and bugger me, they caved in.

I started off this epistle just to mention the pee testing, got carried
away.

Dave
On 11 September 2011 15:41, franka <franka at iinet.net.au