[BITList] Strange phone calls

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 8 17:48:04 BST 2011

When I came home this afternoon from a trip to Glasgow, I checked 1471 on the phone and there had been a call at 11.15am, evidently from outside the UK, since BT "did not have the caller's number". When my wife came home, also from Glasgow (popular place, Glasgow), she said there'd been a strange phone call, ie, the one at 11.15.  To my surprise, it hadn't been some Indian voice offering to fix my computer - it was some gent asking what make of TV we have.  Me not being available, he settled for Janet.  "I can't answer that kind of question.  I'm only the cleaner, " she lied. "That's OK," he said,  "You just go and look for a few minutes and I'll hold on here."  At that she put the phone down, recalling the rules.  So what were they after?