[BITList] Fwd: Re: Human calculator. [VIDEO]

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 2 02:22:12 BST 2011

Hugh,
Think he most likely was using the *The Trachtenberg System* I remember
teaching my eldest daughter some of the algorithms for multiplication
and addition when she was about eight, and in a very short period of
time she was multiplying six figures by six figures in her head
unfortunately I didn't progress with the system as I thought that it
might throw her out of wrack at school, years later I noticed that the
power coaching colleges were using his system during the summer semester
catchup secessions
frank

John,
It's baffling. It's highly impressive.  But it isn't mathematics as I
know it. I can square 2-digit numbers in my head - on a good day,
3-digit - once in a blue moon, 4-digit - it all depends on whether my
memory cooperates.  Once the simple trick is learned, the rest is
memory.  That isn't mathematics either.