[BITList] Going away

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 31 21:03:33 GMT 2011

Monday night,

We're all packed, luggage weighed, and alarm(s) set for 4.00am.  Taxi at 5.30am to Glasgow Airport for 8.00 flight to Malta - back next Tuesday, unless they find us out before then.  I read the Gut (Strait Street) in Valletta is a shadow of its former self, so I'll have a look and assess it. It's near the bus terminus. It never was much of a looker during the day, being dingy and full of bins.  The night life, I read, ended when the Navy stopped calling as much.  In 1957, the only time I was there (Chakdara), we were entertained by the hordes of drunken sailors.  We could always hold our drink, or so I recall.