[BITList] Knowledge

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 27 08:40:52 BST 2011

John,

I don't recall my father ever confusing me in that way, though after he came home from Burma/India he was apt to address us in Hindi when provoked.  I was quite able to confuse myself.  For some years, aged 9 onwards, addicted to Astounding Science Fiction, I was convinced "infrare" was a verb.  Light became infrared in certain circumstances, eg, in space.  Since my addiction to SF wasn't shared by anyone else near me, the misconception was allowed to stay. Another was "oppontent", ie, the other person in a fight.  This lasted a long time, until I uttered it in the hearing of someone who could spell long words.  Had I looked at the back (long word section) of our spelling book, I might have checked it there, but I was convinced it was correct, so the idea never entered my head.