[BITList] Penderyn

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Mon Nov 28 15:31:58 GMT 2011

I got a bottle of Penderyn wisgi brag sengl cymreig [single malt welsh whisky] last week. according to the rather unique black open side box it comes in, Penderyn is the  rural village that ‘hosts’ our distillery and gives its name to wales’ only single malt whisky. like ‘welsh gold [aur cymru], this golden whisky is as rare and precious as the celtic jewellery worn by the old welsh princes and by royalty.

the presentation is clever and unusual; the clear glass bottle is round and unusually tall – its more akin to a wine bottle. the black cardboard box is open at the front and back so the entire length of the bottle and contents are visible. the description of the whisky, etc. is printed in gold on the sides of the box, one side is in english, the other is in welsh. the whisky its self is ‘softly golden’ in colour

the whisky is finished in madeira casks. ‘it has an aroma of cream toffee and fleetingly of fresh new leather. then, as the initial sensations fade, the finishing notes of tropical fruits, raisins and vanilla emerge strongly and are long lasting.’

Regrettably, I can rarely pick out the various shades and nuances of tastes and smells connoisseurs find in whisky, etc.

on the whole a very pleasant, light tasting whisky, but with hundreds of whiskies to chose from there is nothing exceptional in this one.

IMHO at about $60 its too expensive and I will not be buying more.

ct

PS – anyone else tried it?