[BITList] A burglar writes: ‘Dear Victim, I’m not sorry. It was your own fault anyways’ | The Times

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Thu Nov 24 15:48:13 GMT 2011

THE TIMES
THE SUNDAY TIMES
TIMES+
MY ACCOUNT
Search    Welcome Michael FelthamContact us Log out

List View
Site Map
RSS Feeds
Thursday, November 24

News Flash Human remains have been found by officers searching for the body of Kate Prout, Gloucestershire Police said today
A burglar writes: ‘Dear Victim, I’m not sorry. It was your own fault anyways’

1 of 2
The letter written by the teenage burglar to his victim West Yorkshire Police/PA
Post a comment
Recommend (12)
Print
Email
Share

Follow stories about
News
Crime
UK News
What's this

The letter written by the teenage burglar to his victim West Yorkshire Police/PA
Russell Jenkins
November 24 2011 12:01AM
An habitual teenage burglar appeared unable to grasp the concept of contrition when he was asked to write a letter of apology to his victims as part of his punishment.
Instead of saying sorry, the 16-year-old told a family that he was far from feeling apologetic and suggested it was their own fault they were targeted. They had been “dumb” for not drawing their curtains and for leaving the kitchen window unlocked.
The juvenile offender had struck in the Moortown area of Leeds, making off with televisions, a camera and a PlayStation 3. Many of the stolen goods were recovered when he was arrested.
He was ordered to carry out a 12-month intensive supervision and surveillance programme as an alternative to custody in a young offender institution. The letter is supposed to be an important part of the punishment.
“I’m not bothered or sorry about the fact that I burgled your house,” he wrote.
The letter was never sent to the victims, but West Yorkshire Police were so struck by the burglar’s brazen vehemence and the letter’s “coldheartedness” that they have placed it centre stage in a campaign to encourage householders to make their properties more secure this Christmas.
Chief Inspector Melanie Jones said: “We are working hard to target and reduce burglary but the biggest impact we can make is by working together to ensure burglars are not given a series of easy targets.
“The contents of the letter are disgusting but it highlights the cold and dispassionate way burglars select a property to target.”
Sharon Hamilton, a Labour councillor for Moortown, said: “How dare he? It is not for him to be telling people in the area, who have worked hard to have what they have, how to look after their homes. He has no right to be breaking into their homes.”
A spokesman for UK Neighbourhood Watch Trust said it was “appalling” that the kind of advice it has been advocating for years should come from “a perpetrator who is not indicating any level of remorse and basically laying the blame on the victims”.
Officers did not say last night whether or how the 16-year-old was punished for his disobedience.
The criminal viewpoint
Dear Victim,
I don’t no why I am writing a letter to you! I have been forced to write this letter by ISSP. To be honest I’m not bothered or sorry about the fact that I burgled your house. Basicly it was your own fault anyways.
I’m going to run you through the dumb mistakes you made. Firstly you didn’t draw your curtains which most people now to do before they go to sleep.
Secondly your dumb you live in Stainburns a high risk burglary area and your thick enough to leave your downstairs kitchen window open. I wouldnt do that in a million years. But anyways I don’t feel sorry for you and Im not going to show any sympath or remores.
Post a commentRecommend (12)PrintEmailShare

More from Crime
Multimillionaire’s funeral stopped by police

November 24 2011 12:01AM
Police intervened to stop the funeral of a multimillionaire property developer after discovering that he was a fugitive who had been on the run

‘Litvinenko death will be linked to Russia’

November 24 2011 12:01AM
The family and friends of the Russian dissident Alexander Litvinenko gathered at his graveside on the fifth anniversary of his death

No room for denial over ‘racial grooming’

Last updated November 24 2011 12:01AM
Tim Loughton said that, in some parts of the country, British Pakistanis were targeting white girls

‘I see older guys looking for girls’

November 24 2011 12:01AM
Sharon Dukes took told her story of sexual exploitation, in the hope that it can save other girls from suffering the same fate

Sponsored Editorial

American Airlines
Aiming higher
How airlines plan to cater to premium passengers’ individual tastes
Find
JobsMotorsPropertyHolidays
Search all JobsSearch
Sales & Marketing Professionals
RAC - England
Competitive
Project Manager
FSA - London
Salary dependent on experience
Policy/Commercial Graduate Intern
Cabinet Office - London or Norwich
£20,749 - £29,355
PA to CEO
Leathersellers’ Company - London
£38,000
Most Read
Commented
Recommended

Live: JK Rowling testifies to Leveson

10 years in Afghanistan: ‘Welcome, welcome,’ they cried

Derby student is cut loose from clothes horse

Sienna Miller: I was hounded and spat at

Don’t ask me to pay for these ‘apprentices’

Welcome to our latest edition
Download The Times on Android tablet today

© Times Newspapers Limited 2011 | Version 1.26.0.4 (31208)
Registered in England No. 894646 Registered office: 3 Thomas More Square, London, E98 1XY My Account | RSS | Site Map | FAQ | Classified advertising | Display advertising
Privacy Policy | Syndication | Terms & Conditions | Contact us