[BITList] Ernest Lough - the first famous choirboy

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Nov 17 14:05:11 GMT 2011

There are at least 4 parts to this …Start here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TGRxJ8KFE

To read this Life of the Day complete with a picture of the subject,

visit http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/lotw/2011-11-17

Lough,  Ernest Arthur  (1911-2000), singer, was born at 56 Glenparke Road, Forest Gate, London, on 17 November 1911, the son of Arthur Henry Lough, cashier to a lace merchant, and his wife, Caroline Ellen Frisby. He sang as a treble in the choir of his local church, St Peter's, but failed an audition for Southwark Cathedral. He was, however, accepted in 1924 by the Temple Church choir, whose organist and choirmaster, Dr George Thalben-Ball, had a reputation as a superb trainer of boys' voices. At the same time, Lough became a pupil at the City of London School, where all the Temple choristers were educated.

The idea that one of the treble soloists in the choir should make a recording came, apparently, from Lord Justice Eldon Bankes, and was enthusiastically taken up by 'Doctor', as the boys all called Thalben-Ball. HMV had very recently introduced a special mobile van, which made recordings outside a studio possible. In addition, the Temple Church had a particularly fine acoustic, perfect for recording. The piece chosen was Mendelssohn's 'Hear my prayer', better known as 'O for the wings of a dove'. Ernest Lough, then aged fifteen, was chosen because his voice was, at that moment, in the most perfect condition.

'We did four or five takes', recalled Lough some sixty years later  (Daily Telegraph):

One was discarded because a child was whistling outside; another because the Temple clock chimed. I wasn't aware that I was making history. I was so small I had to stand on a couple of Bibles so the single microphone would pick up my voice.
Lough was indeed making history. Record C1329 was issued by HMV in June 1927. So many copies were sold during the first six months that the matrix wore out, and another version had to be made. Later there was a third recording. People came from all over the UK, North America, and Australia to hear Ernest Lough at the Temple Church, and tickets had to be issued for all services until his voice broke two years later.