[BITList] Fwd: News Update

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Wed Nov 16 16:55:30 GMT 2011

The Latest Scam !

Mike

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Fred Burnett"
Subject: News Update
Date: 16 November 2011 09:10:22 GMT

WWW.JAZZNORTHWEST.CO.UK - NEWS UPDATE

12/11/11 - Back in January I reported an email scam that I received from a fellow jazzer which told me that he'd had his bag stolen from him with his passport and credit cards in it whilst abroad. It said the embassy was willing to help by authorizing him to fly without his passport, but he just had to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills and asked to be lent some quick funds and gave a 'hotel phone number' so his story could be verified.  It was well written, but careful examination cast doubts. Well it seems that Mart & Janet Rodger had one recently from an American trumpet-player they know telling them all his possessions have been stolen in Dundee and he needed money to get back to the USA as quickly as possible. Of course neither was true, and an email with a friend's name on it doesn't mean they've sent it. If you get one of these, be sure to try to contact the person by phone to verify it, and failing that, reply with a personal question that only you both know the answer to. Don't ring the hotel number they give, there's somebody on the end waiting for your call. In Mart & Janet's case, they checked the hotel's number on line and saw that it bore no resemblance to the hotel numbers given in the email. Enough said, but it's worth reminding you all to be on your guard.

15/11/11 - No sooner did I mention the scam email received by Mart & Janet, than Brian Turnock and myself get one supposedly from Sheila Collier, saying, "Am in a great sorrow writing you this mail, I could barely think straight at this point, I'm sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling... I'm presently in Madrid, Spain on short program and as i write to you now, its unbelievable I'm stranded here, I was robbed at gun point on my way to a hotel where I lodged and my money, credit cards, phone and other valuable things were taken off me at gun point".  This is a pretty obvious scam, asking for 1000Euro, but be on your guard. It's not always what it says on the tin, even if the email comes from the right name and the right email address.

Jazz News Update

The above News Item/s have been added recently. Wherever it says "click here", you will need to go to  http://www.jazznorthwest.co.uk  (The News Page) and click there in order for it to work.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please send an email to
fred.burnett at btinternet.com with the subject "Remove".  Thank you for your interest - Fred Burnett