[BITList] Fwd: Smart Meters

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 15 00:55:09 GMT 2011

MMMmmm!

I live in a retirement village. Electricity is supplied to the village and
then reticulated to the individual homes within. These homes have smart
meters and are used to monitor the use of electricity and for billing
purposes within the village. Our bills come from village admin not from the
wholesaler electricity company.

This enables admin to know whether I have died in the shower or maybe have
other such problems and has been touted as a "GOOD THING" and is a selling
point for the village. The data does not go back to the electricity company
(at this stage), but, as is pointed out, could be accessed by a suitable
wireless receiver.

Dave