[BITList] Commonwealth War Graves

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 12 08:10:51 GMT 2011

John,

Greenock Cemetery has a fair number of Military headstones within its walls - of a number of nationalities, including German - but they are not arranged in a separate section. The only separate section is for Merchant seamen who resided in the Sir Gabriel Wood Mariners' Home.

I've a great uncle who only exists as a name on a memorial in Belgium, and in my family history files and on one photograph.  He disppeared in the fog of war.  Janet has an uncle in a grave in France, and a cousin in one on Malta.  On our recent visit to the island we went to the Pembroke Military Cemetery and paid our respects.  He and Janet were brought up as brother and sister - he drowned in an Army boating exercise in 1961.  It's a small place, utterly peaceful, immaculately kept by a Maltese staff of two.  WW1 and inter-war stones are vertical - all later stones are recumbent.  There are memorials to children of the Military who died on Malta, all (as far as I could see) between the wars.

Today I intend to photograph the bronze panels on the Port Glasgow War Memorials, before some bastard crowbars them off to sell for drug money.