[BITList] Estuary English

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat May 28 19:47:00 BST 2011

I don't watch TV shows such as X-Factor, and the various Dance derivatives, but I couldn't help noticing while on the bus today, that some of the tabloids had front page headlines about Cheryl Cole leaving/been fired from the US version of one of them.  I gather her Geordie accent and her use of Geordie words grated on US ears, or so the programme makers thought. An article in today's Herald made the point that she should realise she is not alone in this Estuary-English driven world.  So what is Estuary-English?